Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! No start

I swapped injectors from my 89-928. Now I get farts in the exhaust. The injectors are just a bit shorter than the stock ones. Getting good power to the injectors and strong spark. I'm dreading removing the plugs. They look so hard to get at and knuckle busters/scrapers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Can anyone tell me what this wire is for? There are wires on the left and right that appears to have heat shielding. They are very long and have I believe a red and white wire in the shield. I thought they where for the catalytic converters.
6c9a7b6dd921a04a3ad71445f3e5fcc3.jpg

Also what's this box
732b0bd82ac5c7da09ec2e3220549f98.jpg

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go to Jeggs.com and get a set of NEW Accel 24pounders. Stock in the Vette is I believe 22lb. These WILL work great. I put them in my '90 last year and she humms a pretty tune. They are reasonable too. About $300. Get a K&N air filter too. You'll love it. PERIOD!

Here's what you REALLY want! Accel 150824: Fuel Injector Flow Rate: 24.3 lbs/Hr @ 43.5 psi | JEGS

(snip)(

In fact, you REALLY don't want that because it's a bad idea on a stocker and here's why.

The bigger injectors flow more fuel (obviously) but the engine's need for fuel has not changed. In closed loop, provided the injector sizing is not totally off the wall, the ECM will compensate by closing up the pulse width so the same amount of fuel as before is delivered but the injectors are open for less time. The trouble comes at idle and low speed when the ECM may have trouble consistently contolling injectors at such short pulse widths.

At high load, when the engine goes into PE and open loop, the engine runs rich because of the incorrectly sized injectors.

For a stock engine, use stock injectors. If the engine is modified for increased air flow such that you need more fuel, then consider bigger injectors.

Last edited:
I swapped injectors from my 89-928. Now I get farts in the exhaust.(snip)

I don't want to jump to conclusions so let me make sure I understand...

You installed injectors from an '89 Porsche 928 in your L98?

Yes. Just wanted to see if they fit. They are the same 24lb/ft rating. But they are a bit short so don't seat completely. Guess I wait for the new ones to come.

Amazing that they would fit.

Stock injector on that 95 is a 22lb/hr.

In fact, you REALLY don't want that because it's a bad idea on a stocker and here's why.

The bigger injectors flow more fuel (obviously) but the engine's need for fuel has not changed. In closed loop, provided the injector sizing is not totally off the wall, the ECM will compensate by closing up the pulse width so the same amount of fuel as before is delivered but the injectors are open for less time. The trouble comes at idle and low speed when the ECM may have trouble consistently contolling injectors at such short pulse widths.

At high load, when the engine goes into PE and open loop, the engine runs rich because of the incorrectly sized injectors.

For a stock engine, use stock injectors. If the engine is modified for increased air flow such that you need more fuel, then consider bigger injectors.

Hib; That's why I mentioned the K&N air filter. It'll increase air flow a bit. Besides a 2 lb. increase isn't all that much. Now if he was dropping 32 pounders' in there I'd be concerned.

Well....I just don't believe that an oiled-cotton-gauze air filter replacing a paper filter in an air filter assembly already designed to support 500-hp will provide the about 25-lb/hr more airflow needed to support 2-lb/hr. more fuel. If you have data to support that idea, please post it. Until convinced, I see no reason to put larger injectors on a stock 95 LT1. That would have the engine running more rich at WOT and the stock calibration in that engine is likely already rich at WOT.

That said, I need to correct an error I made in an earlier post.

I stated The stock injector for LT1 in MY95 flows 22-lbs/hr. Further, I ID'ed the engine as an "L98". Both statements are wrong.

The OE injector for LT1 in MY95 (PN 17124248) flows 23.9 lbs/hr@43.5-psi.

It's interesting to note that LT4, which used a more aggressive camshaft, higher ratio rockers and high-flowing cylinder heads, was given injectors which don't flow much more fuel. Some LT4s got PN 17124251 which is 26.65-lbs/hr@43.5-psi and others got PN 17124289 which is 24.86-lb/hr@50-psi. In fact, the second LT4 injector listed, when rated at 43.5 flows only 23.19-lbs/hr, less than the LT1 injector. I find that quite interesting.

Last edited:
I appreciate the technically informative discussion but let's keep it light. Some like speed, some like comfort, some light original, some reliability. I just want to start this engine.
Once it's started I'll do all the necessary maintenance and probably sell it. I have 7 cars now which is ridiculous on an English teachers salary.
I would like to return the car as close to original as possible. How would installing a newer GM steering wheel affect the marketability of the car. Here I found steering wheels for the Chevy Cruise very cheap compared to the original. I found the steering wheel base、same as the Camaro, but not the airbag/horn, which doubt it can be shipped from the US.
Would the Cruise steering wheel work for Vet people?

I think the first issue you need to address is whether or not a steering wheel from a Cruze is going to be compatible with the Corvettes SIR system.

Thanks for the heads up. Off to the library!!

Pulled the plugs. They looked clean and new. Just a bit of carbon on the tips. This injectors will come today.

I have a black steering wheel and air bag for a '90, if interested. Steering wheel shows some wear.

Ok. New injectors, cleaned and gapped plugs, bright spark from the coil. Glow plug like light at the spark plug. So pulled the waterpump cuz I know it was leaking. The optispark is new. Pulled it anyway to open it up.

Cleaned up the front of the engine. Reinstalled the opti. Now I get backfiring into the intake. Still no start. I checked and double checked the firing order.
Guess this water pump is long in the tooth.
864869532b57168e4a272a98ace55a6c.jpg

38d13143c8ce35aed0ab82be04fac907.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

El Rattler Lives!!!
It was the timing. I didn't set the timing on the opti.
What confused me is the VIN says it's a 95 but the computer and opti says it's a 93.

I'll get a few pics by the weekend. Buzy week going on.
Here's a couple pics of the steering wheel and air bag. Note there is a cover over the wheel as the original leather is worn and torn. It's the way I bought the car. The cover is very tight fitting so I didn't want to stretch it removing it.It could be re-covered if you wish. Horn buttons and their wiring are like new.
I don't know about shipping to Japan though. The airbags are explosive.
80574dd075b4da933269a6e278845c9a.jpg
7c1e4d5b6efbd6f5c6ddf364cde75d83.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom