Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Noises while driving.

L

lheindrich

I took my Vette out for a nice ride the other day and I noticed some strange sounds coming from underneath my car while I was driving at slow speeds. It sounds and feels like something is popping and the car is shifting around underneath me right behind the seats. So I am assuming it is the rear leaf spring or something with the rear suspention does anyone have any insight or has anyone experienced this same issue. Thanks.

My 68 does the same thing. I really notice it when I have loaded the car up one way or the other, making left and right turns, and then come to a stop. When I take back off, say from a stop sign, I feel the rear almost shift one way and I hear the popping noise. The diff is fine, the rear spring is tight, the trailing arms are shimmed and tight and at this point I'm assuming the wheel bearings are good. U-joints have all been replaced but I have to wonder if the half shaft yokes are pinched together from having the end caps pressed in and out. I wish I could find the answer to the problem, it keeps me from driving too far with the car for fear of the rear coming apart.

Cee

Sounds like one or both of you needs to change the diff fluid making sure you add at least one bottle of friction modifier for the posi unit. Very common problem, easy fix.

Sounds like one or both of you needs to change the diff fluid making sure you add at least one bottle of friction modifier for the posi unit. Very common problem, easy fix.

Thanks Mikey but "been there, done that".....its almost like there is something weird with the halfshaft/spindle geometry...you can actually feel the azz end shift when it does it...

Find an large open parking lot and do about 5 or 6 figure eights and do them slowly and I'm sure your noise will be gone. :w

when my diff was making noise all I did was use the Genuine GM oil and additive. That stopped the noise. But He said it also feels like the back end shifts, can the differential have that effect? Last year I had a failure of not one but both of the shafts that adjust the camber on the rear wheels. Sorry drawing a blank on what the are called. Both failed at the end towards the center of the car where the bolts go in. If it is that I would imagine your rear wheels look off kilter.

diff noise and loose around corners

Had this problem with my 68. go under and check for excessive end play in diff yokes. Have seen these literally wear out snap ring grooves. Put up in air and use a pry bar and check travel. Mine where totally worn out and had to replace.

If you spun a rear wheel over the top of a hole recently , you may have damaged either universal joint on that side . Jack the ass end and in neutral and manually spin the rear wheels. Listen for a univarsal to click at you.

Maybe the cross-member rubber isolators where it bolts to the frame . . .? ;shrug

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom