Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

NOTE TO SELF :

IH2LOSE

Corvette
1966,and a 1962 thats almost complete
Dont put your foot in the car till you remember how to drive it,

Well I had to run to my shop today for a bit and decided to take the 62

So as I am leaving my shop , a shark goes sailing by my shop and I decide I am going to chase it, I square it up on the road,get it rolling and put my foot deep in the pedal, as soon as the front and rear carb kicked in it got so loose I was bairley able to keep it on the road.

Been driving my silverado for the last 8 months and when you put your foot into it all it does is make noise.

Its real exciting to get back behind the wheel of a car with some HP again.

BUT

I am going to look into some streetable drag radials

Larry,

I took the 59 for a drive for the first time in several months. It sure put a smile on my face! I got it crossed up and going sideways, but Mike's chassis are so predictable, that it is easy to get it going back straight. I have been down with some serious health issues for the last couple of months, and a drive in the 59 was just what the doctor ordered! Now if I can just back to feeling good enough to get back out to the shop and work for more than 15 minutes at a time.

I was hoping to be able to take the 65 on the Power Tour, but it does not look like I will finish it in time, but I am still hoping to be done with it by Carlisle in the fall.

Regards, John McGraw

Dont put your foot in the car till you remember how to drive it,

Well I had to run to my shop today for a bit and decided to take the 62

So as I am leaving my shop , a shark goes sailing by my shop and I decide I am going to chase it, I square it up on the road,get it rolling and put my foot deep in the pedal, as soon as the front and rear carb kicked in it got so loose I was bairley able to keep it on the road.

Been driving my silverado for the last 8 months and when you put your foot into it all it does is make noise.

Its real exciting to get back behind the wheel of a car with some HP again.

BUT

I am going to look into some streetable drag radials
yup...a good set of Nitto drag radials will get you the traction you want.....you don't get many miles on them and I don't think you really want to get caught out in a big rain storm with them, but traction...OMG!!!!!:beer

Larry,

I took the 59 for a drive for the first time in several months. It sure put a smile on my face! I got it crossed up and going sideways, but Mike's chassis are so predictable, that it is easy to get it going back straight. I have been down with some serious health issues for the last couple of months, and a drive in the 59 was just what the doctor ordered! Now if I can just back to feeling good enough to get back out to the shop and work for more than 15 minutes at a time.

I was hoping to be able to take the 65 on the Power Tour, but it does not look like I will finish it in time, but I am still hoping to be done with it by Carlisle in the fall.

Regards, John McGraw
John,sorry to hear your are under the weather, get healthy quick!!!!

regards, Herb

yup...a good set of Nitto drag radials will get you the traction you want.....you don't get many miles on them and I don't think you really want to get caught out in a big rain storm with them, but traction...OMG!!!!!:beer

I have nittos on the car now NT555 p245/45r17

I found a set of nitto NT555R p245/45r17 drag radials (they look to have the same tread pattern as whats on the car now) They sure dont look like drag tires to me

I am going to contact nitto on monday to see if the size is the same as what I have now and what I can exspect from them.

Most likely I will order them on monday

I also looked at a set of hooisers, now these looked like drag tires

I will let you know .

I was O.K. with the limited traction I have figuring it was fast enough and nothing would brake.

But after getting so far out of shape on saturday its time for something differant

if I get the Nittos they will look the same as the fronts and nobody will know the differance

I sure hope that Dana 44 and the stock half shafts are going to be able to stand up

I ordered my nitto drag radials on monday and will have them on Wensday

i hope I can get out of work at a resonable time on wensday to try them out
smoke 'em if you got 'em!!!!!!!

John, so sorry to hear that you have not been well. I hope you can this turn around for the better, and soon.

I have noticed over the years that we often have a tendency to take better care of our cars, then we do ourselves. However all is takes is some type of life threatening illness to realize that if we don't start by taking care of # 1, we will no longer be around to play with our toys.

My best wishes for a prompt, and speedy return to your favorite pastime.

Best regards
Bob

a.k.a. Stepinwolf

dangerous in the rain
this would be my biggest fear.....hydroplanning....YUCK!

I went with Goodyear F1 tires on mine, they have a rating of 9 both wet or dry...I am hoping that will be enough....I will have to check my rear tire size....I will post it later tonight.....I know it is an 18" diameter and I think for some reason it is a 255/R45

Well I got my drag radials today, they are real sticky just like a pair of slicks. Every thing sticks to them as I rolled them out of the truck across the drive way into the garage. I cant wait to get them on the car and take it for a ride.

I would have done it today but again we got some rain

Should be a fun weekend

yup, my rears are 255ZR45-18 and the fronts are 225ZR45-17

Well I got my drag radials on and they are not the magic pill I thought they would be.The car still has a traction problem its just not as slippery as before.

The car doesnt snap side ways any mone in the 1st to secound gear shift when under acelleration so it will be safer for my wife to drive.

it still spins the tires under acelleration

But

it seams to track straighter. Its not getting all out of shape sideways so I would have to say we made an improvement , I guess after speaking to nitto tec support I figure it would not spin at all and it would just grab and go.I looked at some marks left on the road from saturday and looked at the one from today and the ones from today are pitch black as if some one painted the road and they are straight as an arrow. The ones from Saturday are drifting off to the left and the back of the car was trying to pass the front of the car and there were never pitch black

One of the down sides of this is that the tires are soo sticky that every little tiny pebble/rock sticks to the tire then is thrown up in the fender well.

Well the end result is, If I had to do it all again under standing what I actually gained in added traction .I would definately make the purchase again

I just have to see if I feel the same way if I get caught in the rain.

I am going to lower the air pressure to see if that makes a differance

Well I got my drag radials on and they are not the magic pill I thought they would be.The car still has a traction problem its just not as slippery as before.

The car doesnt snap side ways any mone in the 1st to secound gear shift when under acelleration so it will be safer for my wife to drive.

it still spins the tires under acelleration

But

it seams to track straighter. Its not getting all out of shape sideways so I would have to say we made an improvement , I guess after speaking to nitto tec support I figure it would not spin at all and it would just grab and go.I looked at some marks left on the road from saturday and looked at the one from today and the ones from today are pitch black as if some one painted the road and they are straight as an arrow. The ones from Saturday are drifting off to the left and the back of the car was trying to pass the front of the car and there were never pitch black

One of the down sides of this is that the tires are soo sticky that every little tiny pebble/rock sticks to the tire then is thrown up in the fender well.

Well the end result is, If I had to do it all again under standing what I actually gained in added traction .I would definately make the purchase again

I just have to see if I feel the same way if I get caught in the rain.

I am going to lower the air pressure to see if that makes a differance
this would be hard to do all the time....haha...but do a few burn outs, then tell us after the third or fourth burnout if it grabbed. Those sticky tires need to be warmed up...not practical for running around town.

As long as all 4 tires were still on the ground your OK! It`s when you get a lot of air under 3 of them you need to start to be concerned. :rotfl

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom