Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Now I am horny too , he, he....

69MyWay

Corvette
1969 Killer Shark
Many of you recently saw a thread on the C4 forum about getting horny with the A/B horns on a C4.

Well, I have been rebuilding my tilt/tele column for the last couple of days.

I bought a new horn rebuild switch/bezel kit from Mid America. I was surprised that it even has the Mid America phone number and name stamped into the part.

Who knows how long it has been since this car had a functioning horn. The original straight column was missing most of the upper parts.

Anyway, now, my horn works....but, it is sooooo sensative that it will toot when you turn the wheel:eek

So, I made up some shims and it seemed to help. I guess on Saturday I will pull that back off and see what I can do to make it less sensative.

Now counting the horn, we are at 100% of full functioning systems. I even powered the alarm and keyless system back up tonight. The Lowjack system comes soon (at least before Sharkfest).

I knew being horny was a good thing!

Actually, that was the first thing I had to fix on mine when I bought it. Previous owner had removed the spring and contact because the upper contact was shorting out. After buying the parts it took me about two hours to figure out the correct installation sequence, then fix the upper contact.

After that it was all smile because I actually fixed it! (Still works too!)

Congrats, that is one sharp looking ride!

Steve :w

horny also

You post got me thinking about the horn so this weekend I pulled mine apart also. Got new gut from Mid America replaced those and low and behold NO TOOT TOOT!!, checked connection of horn (all good) checked power on tilt wheel (NO GOOD) pulled out horn relay under dash shook it up, souded like jingle bells (lol) replaced that. couldent find exact GM number match, discontinued after 1973 according to build book and so went with an after market relay. Now I can honk and wave to other Vettes.

It took four shims to get at right tolerance so it wouldent blow when i turned.

Wamp '74

Wamp,

Did you buy extra shims, or make yours? If you made them, what did you use?

I need to get mine out a smidgeon more. I was thinking about using three small washers (one under each mount).

69myway

I had two shims that were on it, I went to Ace hardware and bought a thin piece of sheet metal exact thickness of shims, traced one out and cut away. Was gonna order some more but figured this was a faster way rather then waiting on shipping. although, UPS man has an understanding that I am first in line for drop offs. Think he's a corvette fan, drops by a few day after delivery to see new parts on car.

wamp '74

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom