Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: NPP Option

Blue260

Corvette
2014 Lime Rock Green Metallic 3LT/ Z51 - 7 Speed
I purchased my 08' off the lot so I missed out on the opportunity of ordering the NPP exhaust.

Can this exhaust be installed on my 08'?

Is it a simple bolt-on option?

What opens the valve in WOT position?

Finally, for those that did order this option, are you pleased with the sound at idle and WOT.

Thanks,
chris

I purchased my 08' off the lot so I missed out on the opportunity of ordering the NPP exhaust.

Finally, for those that did order this option, are you pleased with the sound at idle and WOT.

Thanks,
chris

here's what I know (and before you say it - it ain't a lot!)

NPP involves mufflers and vaccuum/electronic systems parts. Can be added after purchase for 2-2.5 k$. Several aftermarket offerrings are out there as well as OEM. Pretty involved process from what I have seen.

Valves open by vaccuum actuators located on two of the four exhaust outlets. OEM setting is at 3200-3500 rpm. Opens at start then closes until you hit the rpm setting. Valves can be bypassed by pulling the NPP fuse which leaves exhaust in "load" mode full time. Aftermarket suppliers have electronic bypass switches on the market that allow you to control valves with a key fob.

Sound-wise, I am pleased with both settings. I don't do a lot of WOT driving but when I do get aggressive, the loader exhaust is a pleasant treat. Not sure I would want it at highway speeds for an extended period of time though.

Hope that helps :w

There are various forum vendors selling NPP exhausts.. Gene at GM partshouse.com usually has the best pricing...

Then for a hundred dollars there are guys who have the remote switches for the butterfly valves..

Some even have the ability to set the rpm they open automatically at..

Its a nice exhaust system yet I would imagine the corsas might be a nice way to go too...

Check the used corvette parts sections of the various forums if you decide to go with a different exhaust..

Tons of guys switch out the NPP for the corsas and visa versa..

Try and go to a car show to listen to the various exhausts before you buy and beaware some aftermarket systems drone.. ie..Borlas etc..

Its all a personal preference..

Good luck..

I wish you were correct about "tons of guys" switching out the NPP for another exhaust. I am one that has been watching and the very few that appear seem to want to recoup all of their option price for their used NPP. The most cost efficient way to boost the sound level seems to be an axle-back muffler system. Down side is that you are always in the loud mode.

check on partshouse .com and see what Genes' offering these up new.. if you can't find them used..

The switch is on off and that would work for you (as little as 50 bucks..and the rpm senitive ones are probably double/

Good luck and if I see one for sale..

I'll post up on this thread..

Thanks,
chris
Chris, I have the NNP on my 07 Z06, I had a corsa pace car system on my 04 coupe. I liked the corsa system much better. The idle was better, the wot was better and at cruising speed it was as quiet as the stock system. You can get an after market cat back system for half the cost of the NNP. You can go on line and listen to the corsa, borla, magnaflow and bassini systems as well as others before you decide. The problem with the NNp for me is, at idle the car sounds a lot like my silverado, and at least for me you only spend a few seconds above 3500rpm on any given road trip so you only get few blips of great exhaust tone good luck johnm

John,

Has given some very sound advice..

Go for the no drone corsas!

The npp is kind of quiet at idle unless a person buys one of the NPP exhaust switches and even then...the drone under 2000 rpms can be annoying..For the most part I leave the NPP as a stock setup where it opens at 3500 rpms under heavy throttle...and once in awhile I flip the switch for it to be loud all the time.. for short periods.. After long periods of driving..(more than half an hour ) I put the stock setting to open up at 3500 because the drone under 2000 rpms is annoying..

Drone free...The corsas are a better way to go.. and at half the price? how could you go wrong..

I don't know which corsas to recommend...but listen to each and then decide.. At 48 years old? I'd go for the softer of the two ..

I had the corsa indy's on my 1999 C5 and it was too loud after awhile..

I think the touring would have been a better choice over the indy's I had on my 1999 c5..

How this relates to the c6 I apologize but hope its somewhat insightful.

Good luck

JB

Thanks for all the helpful posts.

Knowing what's involved (cost and installation) doesn't make the return a wise investment.

FWIW, I bought an 08 Z06 cat-back from a forum member for $250 and had it installed with a mild-to-wild switch for $250. I now have a 3" system from the headers to the functioning Z06 mufflers. Pretty cool and its NOT loud when open IMHO.

Seeking NNP for a senior citizen.

I love my 07 flapper!

I use my Z for cross country blasts thru the sparsely populated SW. Often at speeds greater than 2 times the posted limits.At these speeds there is nothing more unpleasant than some slight wind noise and occasionally, some tire noise. In this environment you can enjoy XM or CD music in perfectly air conditioned comfort.

I love the sound of screaming small blocks and loud hot rod Harleys. :SteerI don't however like to have the droning of an unpleasantly raspy exhaust that GM chose to put on this great car.

I would expect,if polled most C6 Z owners would say that they don't like the open exhaust sound. I haven't driven the 2.5 inch production version to compare to.

I have pulled the exhaust flapper fuse and drove around for all of 90 minutes. The fuse has been installed ever since, including the track. If you are running the car hard the valve makes a huge difference in fuel economy.
There ain't nothin better than having a quiet car that effortlessly cruises in 6th gear at speeds that most cars can't reach.

Just plain ol wallowing in fun!:D

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom