Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Number of 6-speed convertibles built in 1995?

Roadtoy

Corvette
95 converible
Does anyone know the answer to the question or how I could find out how many 6-speed convertibles were build in 1995. When I bought my new C4 in the spring of 1995 as a 29 year old, one dealer said I was crazy for wanting to order a 6-speed convertible. He said they only order convertibles with automatics. Another dealer wanted $5000 up front to order this "pink elephant." He said if I bailed out on him he would have to discount the car another $5000 just to get it off his lot. I did order the car from the 3rd dealer I met with. The week it was scheduled to be built I drove 4 hours to Bowling Green, did a plant tour and was lucky enough to see my car come off the line. I even talked with the last guy to work on the car and asked if I could ride along if this particular car was going to be road tested. It was not scheduled to be road tested but he said he had authorization to road test any car in the plant. He said get in. We drove the car right out of the plant and took a hot lap on the road loop behind the plant. It was an awesome experience. I still own this car today with just a tick over 30,000 miles on it. I am just curious now how many of these "pink elephants" were built it 1995.

I'm sure where but, somewhere, you might find production data for 1995 which might break out MN6 by body style.

The build for MY95 was 20742 and, of that, 4971 where convertibles. A total off 4784 base coupes, convertibles and ZR1s had RPO MN6. If we subtract ZR1s that leaves 4336 base coupes and convertibles with six-speeds.

Back then, manuals averaged 25-30% of the build but, obviously, convertibles had less, and likely far-less, six-speeds than that.

My wild-assed guess would be that six-speed 'verts were less than 1000 cars. Maybe even less than 500.

Six-speed convertibles are not "pink elephants", they are REAL Corvettes. Clearly, you're not a "gold chains and Rolex" kinda guy who orders an automatic.

Hi Hall, thanks for the info and wild-assed guess. I believe you are correct. Five hundred or so is probable about right. I hope to someday find out the exact number produced. If you ever find it please let me know. And yes you are correct, Corvettes with manuals are the way it was meant to be for America's premier sports car. Of course I understand that a C8's electronic transmission can shift faster than a human but I sure would like to see GM produce a manual in this iconic American muscle car. I will always keep a manual or two or three in my stable.

I look at the C8's DCT as an eight speed manual which the driver shifts "by wire" in much the same way the driver controls throttle opening which also is "by wire".

We have six cars and a pickup. Three of the six are manuals.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom