Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

O2 Pitfalls Of Aftermarket Exhaust on '94 and '96 Cars

R

RubyDropTop

Hi -

Well, Santa was good to me this year and I received a new aftermarket exhaust system. It's an aluminized/dual chambered system and it sounds fantastic. I really like it, and 2 of my friends really like it as well - they both want the same system now.

My question is: on my '93 I have no O2 sensors after the cats, so there was no problem with my car as far as that goes, however, my friends have '94 and '96 Corvettes, and I don't think that their O2 sensors are the same (more of them and placed after the cats).

What needs to be done in order to install this system properly(which is made for '92 to '96 Vettes) on their cars as well? I don't want them to throw any codes after the installation. Thanks.

What kind of system is it again? Is it a cat-back, or does it connect at the manifolds and eliminate the cats?

I am running rear O2 sensor eliminators, since my whole exhaust is aftermarket. You can order them from www.summitracing.com

Your friend's 94 should have 3 O2 sensors:
LT1_Cats.JPG

They are in the cats so if this is a cat-back exhaust you won't have any problems.

Nick,

I shrunk you pic down.. it was a tad big. :D

Ruby,

only the 96 vette's have a o2 in the cat back. they would either need a o2 bugn welded in or find out if the company makes a 96 specific system

Hi -

Yes, this is a cat back system. So the '94 should be okay, but the '96 will require different attention?

Are sensor eliminators difficult to install and do they ever throw any codes?

RubyDropTop said:
Hi -

Yes, this is a cat back system. So the '94 should be okay, but the '96 will require different attention?

Are sensor eliminators difficult to install and do they ever throw any codes?

I remember reading something about the KBD 92-96 system and they mentioned:

"KBD's Performance Exhaust System for LT-1's is the largest system made. It has a mandrel bent 3" exhaust tubing from the catalytic converter's back including 3" inlets and outlets on the mufflers plus distinctive looking 3" KBD exhaust tips. This system produces up to 35 additional horsepower and bolts on without any modification. To install the system on a 1996 requires the addition of an oxygen sensor which can be performed at most muffler shops."

if you leave the cats alone just bolt on the exhaust and do nothing else. if you remove the cats or gut them you need to install O2 simulators. these simulators tell the chip the exhaust is cleaner comming out of the cat alnd all is OK. my O2 simulators costs less than $100.00

Edmond said:
I remember reading something about the KBD 92-96 system and they mentioned:
"KBD's Performance Exhaust System for LT-1's is the largest system made. It has a mandrel bent 3" exhaust tubing from the catalytic converter's back including 3" inlets and outlets on the mufflers plus distinctive looking 3" KBD exhaust tips. This system produces up to 35 additional horsepower and bolts on without any modification.

B&B also sells a mandrel bent 3" system for the LT1. As for those horsepower claims, that's quite a lofty number there.
I saw no gain in the 1/4mile whatsoever with the addition of the 3" B&B on my 94.

vettn94 said:
Your friend's 94 should have 3 O2 sensors:
LT1_Cats.JPG

They are in the cats so if this is a cat-back exhaust you won't have any problems.

HEY!!! I have those on my car!!.. LoL Thanks Again, Nick for the great deal on the gutted cats!
-Rick

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom