Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

LT4 o2 simulators

1996 LT4 Topic

TUPELOLT4

Corvette
1996 Black LT4
Does anybody know where i can get some o2 sensor eliminators for my 96 lt4?? i have looked online but havent found a "reliable" source yet! any input will be greatly appreciated!! thanks!

My first question is why? With a propper tune to the ECM they are of no use and no it won't run better w/o the cats unless they need rebuilt.

I agree, they are of no value and besides if your car starts running lean, the PCM will not know and you can really put a hurting on the engine quickly.

But to answer your question, I do not know of anybody that makes them anymore, your best bet is the bay.

First off, try giving these guys a call [FONT=&quot]Caspers Electronics (847-247-0484)
Then try ebay. I'll ask a guy at work where he got his.

If in doubt you could get a tune from PCMforless.com and they can just shut off your rear o2 sensors permanently. The PCM wouldn't even know what one is.

To clear up any other questions on 02 Sensors, the front 02 are the important ones, they tell the PCM if the exhuast is rich or lean, and directly influence the A/F ratio commanded by the PCM in closed loop.

The ONLY purpose of the rear 02 sensors is to tell the PCM, if the catalytic converters are going there job or not. NOTHING ELSE. On OBDII cars 96 and up, the PCM at certain times runs a test on the cats and monitors the rear o2 sensors to see if the cats can respond according to the written in parimeters on the PCM.

[/FONT]

OK thanks 93rubie and all the guys for your input and info.! that helped me out alot!! thanks again!!

why wouldnt it run better w/o the cats since they are the most RESTRICTIVE part of the exhaust system???

While trying not to sound to "green" since I'm really not.

1. It's against the law big time and many states you can not get your registration if the
car doesn't pass the sniff test.
2. The air really could stand improvement in a lot of places.
3. OEM cats in good condition vs no cats on same car only returned 3 to 5 hp gain. High flow cats such as Random Tech's have no impact on hp. If Ya really need the 3hp some time, turn off the a/c as it draws about the same.

Our 90 ZR1 ran 160 in the mile (Texas Mile) last Oct. and 168 this April with the only change made being the cats were rebuilt by Smiths. Should run slightly over 170 next month as the clutch was slipping badly in 5th during the April meet. Car only has 40K miles so I really don't know what caused the cats to plug up but I do know it made a big difference off the street but could not be felt in every day driving.

why wouldnt it run better w/o the cats since they are the most RESTRICTIVE part of the exhaust system???

While they are restrictive, they will only kill 2-3hp on LTx cars. My car was dyno'd before and after I put headers on and just for giggles we dyno'd the car w/cat back part of the system off and the car gained 4hp and I think 1tq, after headers and high flow bullit cats and stock cat back on, the car was 18hp and 13tq higher than stock.

Did not dyno car with headers and no cats, but a guy w/l98 Camaro gained 26hp w/headers and aftermarket catback system, don't know the torque, as I was paying more attention to mine at the time.

L98's are restrictive, LTx's not much as far as I could tell.

Not.

The most restrictive part of the 96 exhaust sys. is the mufflers and the reducers which are in the pipes ahead of the resonator and ahead of the mufflers.

TupoloLT4, what is your goal for this car, sound improvement, performance???

If sound is what you want check this out...

YouTube - C4 Corvette Muffler Eliminators

or this

YouTube - C4 Corvette

Yes, that Ruby is mine...Turn the volume up and do it some justice. Everybody likes the way this cars sounds, is meaner in person.

STOCK CATS!!!! IN PLACE

Muffler Eliminators with X pipe i put in place of resonator, should be very low restriction, if Hib is right, and I don't doubt him in the least bit.

In his post, above, Rex S mentioned: "the cats were rebuilt by Smiths." Is this a better way to go than the Random Tech units? Also, does anyone have the contact info for "Smiths?" Does anyone else do this work? I need to do something with mine, and would appreciate any thoughts from the group. Thanks!

Now that O2 sims have disappeared, the easiest way to get rid of the rear O2s is to turn them off in the ecu. This is handy if/when you want to run a off-road H pipe without cats.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom