Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Octane Boost or race Fuel

4WDVETTE

Corvette
1966 Coupe
When I was out the other day, over the music of the side pipes, I heard an occasional 'ping'. I am running a 60 over 427 with approx 11 to 1 compression. I am running Sunoco 94 with a lead additive. What do you guys think - use and octane booster or mix with 108? At about 5 gal. 108 per tankful, should get me to about 97 or 98. Also, I don't want to fuss with the timing as the engine is not too friendly at idle as it is.

Steve

4WDVETTE said:
When I was out the other day, over the music of the side pipes, I heard an occasional 'ping'. I am running a 60 over 427 with approx 11 to 1 compression. I am running Sunoco 94 with a lead additive. What do you guys think - use and octane booster or mix with 108? At about 5 gal. 108 per tankful, should get me to about 97 or 98. Also, I don't want to fuss with the timing as the engine is not too friendly at idle as it is.

Steve
mixing anything with the gas makes going far from home a real PIA........I would try to find a way to get it back under 10.5:1 so that you could get pump gas ANYWHERE.....just my 2 cents.....

Its clear you need to do something, otherwise at some point there might not be a ping to be heard at all!!!

Steve - I am also running 11:1 with a fairly agressive cam. I use 5 gallons of 110 leaded race gas (TORCO or CAM2 or VP) to anywhere between 5-7 gallans of 93 unleaded. The car starts, runs and shuts off great. For long trips I carry a can of TORCO race gas concentrate. It is not an octane booster or lead additive. TORCO claims it is a concentrate. You can buy CAM2 at "Mighty Joes" on 206 in Shamong. You can only purchase the concentrate directly from TORCO.

John - My son used to go to Mighty Joes for the CAM 2 for his quad that he raced at Atco. We always used the Sunoco 108 for the Busch car and I can still get it (I think) by the drum. So you use more like a 40% mix with the 93. Maybe I will give it a shot. I have not encountered the concentrate. What is the equivenlent percentage? How much of the concentrate would you add to 10 gallons of 93 versus the normal gallon of the 110? How does it idle?

Steve

Steve - the mix of approx 5 gal 110 to 7 gal 93 is derived from trying to get a mix of 100. The mix for a 20 gal tank calculates to 8.25 gal 110 to 11.75 gal 93 using the weighted method. The reason I use the 5 to 7 gallon mix is because I buy the race gas in 5 gal cans.
The concentrate mixes as follows; 32 oz concentrate to 20 gal 93 gives 97 minimum octane, 32 oz concentrate to 10 gal 93 gives 104 minimum octane. I have not used it as yet as I plan to only use it on a long run where race gas will not be available.

4WDVETTE said:

Steve

Remove 427 11:1.. Install 502 or 572..Pump Gas Motor 92 Octane..

.....:L :L

Bonnie has been very understanding and supportive of my car escapades but, I don't thinkI could get that one past her! Nice try though.

Steve

4WDVETTE said:
Bonnie has been very understanding and supportive of my car escapades but, I don't thinkI could get that one past her! Nice try though.

Steve

Well down the road maybe. in a few years.. aahh..you could have a 427 motor failure requiring a new install...:D

4WDVETTE said:
Bonnie has been very understanding and supportive of my car escapades but, I don't thinkI could get that one past her! Nice try though. Steve

Show Bonnie how much racing gas is -- $7.50 per gallon in some places. Being the CPA you are I am sure you could then formualte a one or two year break even anaylsis for the 502/572 which uses the cheaper gas. :)

With the latest pumping shutdown on the North Slope, $7.50 a gallon will look like a bargain. Buy it now and re-sell it on the futures market next month :W

JL66REDCPE said:
Show Bonnie how much racing gas is -- $7.50 per gallon in some places. Being the CPA you are I am sure you could then formualte a one or two year break even anaylsis for the 502/572 which uses the cheaper gas. :)

Yeah.. What he said...:L

With a L72 or any other 11-1 engines you should still be able to use pump 92/93 without any additives unless your FI equiped. Aside from the fact that additives really dont work and will only increase your cost per gallon of fuel.

76 Union has a very useful hotline regarding their gasolines and applications for street cars (800) 345-0076. Their staff will give you the ins and outs of lead content, RON, etc. and a recommendation for your application.

My '69 Z has the stock 11:1 motor and per their recommendations I use a mix of about 20% 110 racing fuel with 92 octane to match the fuel available at that time. Mixing is not a problem since I don't drive it much and there is no ping, especially at WOT!

My stock/original 11:1 '69 Z/28 runs fine on 93-octane pump premium, without a hint of detonation. I run 8*-10* initial, 26* in the distributor all in by 2800, with a VC-1810 vacuum advance (fully deployed at 8" Hg.) connected to full manifold vacuum. :)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom