Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

October 2005 Callaway Of The Month - w/in>

*89x2*

This month we are extremely pleased to feature a very rare and highly requested Callaway Corvette for our Callaway Of The Month spotlight.
Belonging to Australian, Jim Gramms, this car is one of only a handful of Callaway Corvettes “down under” Featured in numerous magazines including Motor Trend, Road & Track, and Vette, this car led the life of a magazine test car for automotive journalists to sample Old Lyme latest and greatest back in 1991 at the model year introduction. Much praise was written about the car in the various magazines and the only shortcomings noted dealt with Chevrolet components.
Ripping down the quarter-mile in 12.54 @ 115, this car made the often compared to ZR1, a distant memory… Amazing track times were only part of the story, as the cars blazing yellow paint and fitted AeroBody were always drawing attention of onlookers during these road jaunts. Fitted with some subtle changes for 1991, the most notable are the blisters for the intercoolers up on top of the hood.
Jim’s car amazingly, resides in his living room – yes, INSIDE his home! Read on, as Jim shares some of the highlights of his Callaway and many of the awards listed that it has captured – Enjoy!

(photos attached)

Callaway Owner Jim Gramms said:
IT ALL STARTED BACK IN 1991 WHEN I LAID MY EYES ON A SPEEDSTER AT CORVETTE MIKE IN CALIFORNIA.
EVEN THOUGH WE HAVE ABOUT 5000 CORVETTES HERE, CALLAWAY CORVETTES ARE NOT EASILY FOUND IN AUSTRALIA, IN FACT, THIS IS THE ONLY ONE OF ITS KIND IN THE SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE.
REEVES CALLAWAY QUOTES IT WAS THE 1991 SHOW CAR FROM THE LOS ANGELES SHOW AND IT WAS CALLAWAYS PRESS CAR DEMO MODEL. IT WAS THEN SOLD TO A FINE COLLECTOR IN PALM SPRINGS. THE CAR HAD ABOUT 13400 MILES ON THE CLOCK. THE CAR MADE IT TO AUSTRALIA IN 1994 AND WAS HIDDEN IN A GARAGE BY ANOTHER COLLECTOR. MANY MONTHS OF RESEARCH AND A WHISPER IN 2001 FROM AN ASSOCIATE ENABLED ME TO MAKE CONTACT WITH THE OWNER. AS HE OPENED THE GARAGE DOOR I GOT A SLIGHT GLIMPSE OF THE REAR TAIL LIGHTS, I KNEW IT WAS THE GENUINE ARTICLE AND MY MIND WAS MADE UP INSTANTLY.
I BELIEVE THAT I AM THE THIRD OWNER. SINCE THE CAR HAS BEEN IN MY POSSESSION I HAVE SPENT COUNTLESS HOURS DETAILING EVERY POSSIBLE PART THAT I CAN LAY MY FINGERS ON. AS A RESULT OF MY EFFORTS THE CAR SITS BESIDE COUNTLESS TROPHIES IN THE LOUNGE ROOM OF THE HOUSE. THE CAR IS NOW BEING PREPARED FOR NCRS STANDARDS AFTER ROY SINOR, MASTER JUDGE, DIRECTOR OF NCRS VIEWED THE CAR WITH SIX OF HIS ASSOCIATE JUDGES.

AWARDS

2001 FOX STUDIOS -SYDNEY-OPEN INVITATION-FIRST PLACE

2001 CHEVROLET CAR CLUB CONCOURDE D'ELEGANCE
SPORTS CAR SECTION-FIRST PLACE
PEOPLES CHOICE
GOLD AWARD

2002 CHEVROLET CAR CLUB CONCOURSE D'ELEGANCE
SPORTS CAR SECTION-FIRST PLACE
GOLD AWARD

2002 14TH NATIONAL AUSTRALIAN CORVETTE CONVENTION-ADELAIDE
C4 PERSONAL-FIRST PLACE
TOP ENGINE-FIRST PLACE
TOP COUPE-FIRST PLACE
OVERALL CONVENTION CHAMPION

2003 15TH NATIONAL AUSTRALIAN CORVETTE CONVENTION
C4 1990 TP 1996-FIRST PLACE

2003 CHEVROLET CAR CLUB CONCOURSE D'ELEGANCE
GOLD AWARD

2004 16TH ANTIONAL AUSTRALIAN CORVETTE CONVENTION-MELBOURNE
BEST ENGINE BAY-OVERALL WINNER
C4-B 1990 TP 1996 - RUNNER UP

2005 NATIONAL CORVETTE RESTORERS SOCIETY AUSTRALIA
HIGHEST SPORTSMAN AWARD
LONGEST DISTANCE DRIVEN AWARD

Trully a spectacular car owned by one very nice guy!

Congratulations!

-Luigi
:cool

Those picts are all sort of blocky. :( That is a custom yellow isn't it, not the Competition Yellow? That car is soooo cool looking!!

Is that exhaust special to the car?

Luigi, you are right - great car, great Owner! :upthumbs

re: pics, sorry guys, until the FTP issue is resolved, this is the (temp) format - pics were about 2 MB each however, uploaded attachments can only be 83 kb max :(
In the coming week or so, I hope to have it back the old way - thanks

Thanx Chris

Beautiful car and images...spectacular background...Thanx for the work...you da man

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom