Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Odd Sound at times in r/rear

Tommy Almond

Corvette
Usually on initial leaving the garage I pick up a sound from the right rear, sorta sounds like tire sing and usually stops after several miles but may start again and it does the sound regardless of hard surface type. Just had the strut rods replaced and mechanic checked yoke end play and rearend and found it all okay. I am running Firestone Fire Hawks radial tires and have swapped front to rear and still picks up sound. Also I removed the original speakers in the rear and install the sound bar assembly so that area is not sealed off as original and top inner of wheel well can be seen looking down behind speaker bar so don't know if that openness may be allowing tire sing to be louder......but don't notice it on the left rear which is the same with speaker housing removed. Noise changes speed as I go faster or slow down and I do not hear any metal, squeaking or usual bearing noise. Also sound was present before the strut rods replaced and camber was 1 bubble negative prior but now set to proper setting. Any thoughts is helpful. When had it at shop once to check, of course did not make the sound so thinking of throwing a recorder back there to try and get sound on tape so he can hear it, at least recorded. Of course only can hear sound with the tops on, if open air I assume it is doing whatever but not loud enough to be heard over the air blowing in the baldness of my head. Again any thought, comment etc is helpful.

Rear end noise is not my expertise, but I have read a lot that says the rear ends begin to make noise when the fluid has degraded. It only takes a fluid change, remembering to add 4oz of GM limited slip differential lubricant, to stop the noise. I don't know if this is your problem but it is an easy, quick and inexpensive way to remove one possibility

Rear end noise is not my expertise, but I have read a lot that says the rear ends begin to make noise when the fluid has degraded. It only takes a fluid change, remembering to add 4oz of GM limited slip differential lubricant, to stop the noise. I don't know if this is your problem but it is an easy, quick and inexpensive way to remove one possibility

Thanks, that is an easy change out so will do ASAP

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom