Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Odd tag on drivers post

NuclearBob

Corvette
1981 Beige Coupe
Hey! I was looking at the tag on the drivers side door frame pillar when I realized that it doesn't have all of the Chevrolet information on it. The tag just has the word Corvette on the first line and the body and interior color codes on the second line. It is a plain metal tag and doesn't look like it was something that was put in to replace the original.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Carl

It sounds like that it is the trim tag..it should say chevrolet instead of corvette on it though... next to the word chevrolet is the time built code which is three characters.. and on the 2nd line is the word trim and paint with room for 6 characters in between these are for your interior, and paint colors..

hope this helps

bill:w

Your right... I looked again and the top line does say Chevrolet. The tag doesn't have any of the wording I've seen in the restoration books, and it looks like it's made from some sort of polished metal.

Thanks!

Carl

Carl,
Have you tried to get a build sheet? If you have a BG car, you can buy one from the museum, if it is from SL, there is a thread on here somewhere on how to get one. The build sheet will tell you what the trim tag is supposed to say, if you suspect it has been replaced. It will also give you the build date, and all options on your car from the factory.
Craig

mine is as follows, don't exactly know what it all mean...?? starting from top line:

B 07B 101569
13I 33L 33U 39M E
CHEVROLET

TOP LINE: B=BOWLING GREEN? 07= JULY (1981 BIRTHDAY) looked it up: born 7/13/81
MID LINE: 13=METALLIC SLVR? SILVER=33 L=? U=? 39=CHARCOAL M=? E=?
BOTTOM: SELF EXPLANATORY

birdy'sL81 said:
mine is as follows, don't exactly know what it all mean...?? starting from top line:

B 07B 101569
13I 33L 33U 39M E
CHEVROLET

TOP LINE: B=BOWLING GREEN? 07= JULY (1981 BIRTHDAY) looked it up: born 7/13/81
MID LINE: 13=METALLIC SLVR? SILVER=33 L=? U=? 39=CHARCOAL M=? E=?
BOTTOM: SELF EXPLANATORY

B= model year ..81,07 july...yup, B 2nd week of the month it was built...
13(L)?... Interior color.eg.silver gray(Leather???)In your case
33L..L-is the lower color U is the upper color,Silver metallic is on your vette...39M I think is the middle? stripe eg charcoal metallic & E I dont know...

bill:w

The 'E' is the code for two tone paint, the 39M (charcoal) is the accent color which is on the bottom.
Craig

I tried to get a build sheet from the NCM, but it was put together in St. Louis, so no luck there. I guess I will have to wait until I need to drop the fuel tank..

Thanks for all the good info!!!!

NuclearBob said:
Your right... I looked again and the top line does say Chevrolet. The tag doesn't have any of the wording I've seen in the restoration books, and it looks like it's made from some sort of polished metal.

Thanks!

Carl

Don't know what books you've been reading, but the info given in your posts above sounds like a standard St. Louis trim tag used on every Corvette built bewtween 1968-81.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom