Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Off Road Mufflers 1961 270hp

• Thread starter Thread starter studiog
  • Start date Start date
S

studiog

Does anyone know the correct diameter of the round off road mufflers on a 1961 270hp? I purchased an exhaust system and I think the mufflers are too "skinny" only about a 3" diameter. Thanks for any replies.

;shrug

I bought my off road exhaust from Corvette Central a few years back. (for my '61) I sold the car since then. If I remember correctly, they where larger then 3", more like 6"-7".
I would call Corvette Central or Zip Products tech support hot line to ask them. They should go back into they shock dept. and measure them for you.
(Where did you get your from?)
Ken:crazy

No such animal... RPO N11 (round "off-road" mufflers) weren't an OPTION on C1's until 1962. They were about 30" long x 5" dia, no internal baffles, only perforations. The mufflers/tailpipes were welded as an assembly. The right side muffler had stainless endcaps to tolerate corrosion caused by accelerated condensation due to cooler temps caused by the heat riser valve.
No suitable reproductions out there that I'm aware of.
You need the ovals to be "correct".
www.mofoco.com/mufflers/mufflers.htm

CORRECTION: Checked notes; Original N11 muffs had three internal baffles...not perforations.

Does anyone know the correct diameter of the round off road mufflers on a 1961 270hp?

The C1 (1962 - RPO 441) "off-road" mufflers were straight-through, with perforations (like "glasspacks"); the later C2 RPO N-11 "off-road" muffler option was the same oval shape as the standard 5-baffle muffler, but had two less baffles.

Externally, the 1962 RPO 441 "off-road" round mufflers were identical to the round mufflers that were standard equipment (and the only mufflers offered) on all '56 and '57 Corvettes; they went to oval mufflers from '58-'62, with no option until 1962.
:beer

Thanks everyone for all the info. Very helpful!
Gary

Re: Black Book error?

c5d said:
John, my First Printing, Black Book, pg. 25, lists RPO 441 with the '61. Has this since been corrected? To your knowledge, have any late production '61's been found with the 441's?

TIA
Dann

The current (2003) edition of the "Black Book" has been updated to reflect what NCRS has been able to document (and what Noland shows in his Vol. II book) - RPO 441 was only available on 62's.
:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom