Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

oil change = low oil warning

crause

Corvette
75 Convertible-steel blue / 2000 lt. pewter conv.
Why can't anything be easy when working on these C5's? I changed the oil today on my 2000 convertible after the % reached 25. I forgot that this car uses 6 qts. of oil when i picked up the 5 qt. jug of Mobil 1. I changed the oil without incident but when I started the car the low oil warning came on the DIC. I drove the car into town (approx. 5 miles) taking it easy and picked up another quart at O'Reilly. I put this in and the level on the dip stick is showing full but the "low oil" warning keeps coming on. I can get the warning to go off by pushing the "reset" button but it comes back on after about 10 min. the owners manual says that it will keep coming on every 10 min. until the situation is corrected. :W What do I do now? Where is the oil level sensor? Is it something I can replace if that is the problem? Hate to go to the dealer with this problem could cost $$$$$$$$$. Any suggestions or solutions appreaciated.;help

The crankcase holds 6.5 quarts, doesn't it? I would suggest that you be certain that your crankcase is filled correctly before you stress any further. You could be down most of a quart and the warning light could be correct. If that doesn't fix it, then at least you have eliminated the simple thing.

I assume you replaced the filter (with correct type) and checked for leeks after adding oil. Does the dipstick show full oil level and are you getting oil pressure reading on the gage or DIC. Let us know if the above are good, that will help to diagnose the warning message.

I searched the knowledge base here and it said that the oil capacity is 6 qts. I have 6 qts. in it now and the dip stick shows full, top of the range on the stick. I did change the filter with an AC delco filter that is original equipment. No leaks. I am going to let it sit for overnight and take it out again tomorrow (if no rain) and see if it clears. I read some post that said theirs cleared after filling and letting the car sit for several hours.:confused

Disconnecting the battery for couple minutes might help to reset it. It will also put the car in optimum performance program (91 octane).

Mine holds 6.5!!:thumb
It's in the owners manual!!! :thumb:thumb:thumb
A owners manual has Lots and Lots of useful information!!
:D:D:D

attachment.php

Oil

I searched the knowledge base here and it said that the oil capacity is 6 qts. I have 6 qts. in it now and the dip stick shows full, top of the range on the stick. I did change the filter with an AC delco filter that is original equipment. No leaks. I am going to let it sit for overnight and take it out again tomorrow (if no rain) and see if it clears. I read some post that said theirs cleared after filling and letting the car sit for several hours.:confused

Did you think to reset the DIC ? Reset your Oil life indicator. Check your owners manual for directions.

JB.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom