Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Oil Change on 81

Diver

Corvette
1981 Black on Black, 2006 Victory Red Coupe
I posted on the wrong page I think. Okay try again. My 81 sits so low I can't get under it to change oil and filter. I've only had this car 2 wks. I bought Rhino Ramps but still too low. What do you folks do? Also, is there any reason not to take that front rubber spoiler off underneath? It gives just about zero clearence plus I really don't like the looks of it. This car has been redone through and through. 38,000 miles on body and less than 3 on new engine. I'm the third owner. Seems as though the first owner neglected it by just letting it sit in garage and outside for a number of years. But the interior is in great shape w/ no cracks to leather or dash. Second owner did a lot of replacing and rebuilding mechanical componets though. I have all workorders from shops. Also has new paint. Thanks Terry

Diver ~ Welcome to the Corvette Action Center Community ~

Terry,

Low slung Sharks present a challenge at best ;) My ole buddy "BLACKDOG" has a very low slung 1980.. to change oil we a 2"x4" about 6' long to get under the side of the car the leverage it up until we can get the floor jack under the jacking point toward the front.

The oil filter and plug are best accessed via the drivers side. I also use the extend filter instead of the shorter, get an extra little bit of oil :D (Puralator L30040, but be sure to check the cross reference)

I would not cut or remove the rubber air damn.. with your car being so low slung you may find you will run a little hotter than the normal height 1981.. has to do with air flow and getting the air where it does the most good :bu

I invite you to visit the L81VetteRegistry too. (see my signature for more details) ;)

Welcome aboard and enjoy the ride!

81 oil change

When changing the oil I use a floor jack.I elevate the front of the car with jack stands under the frame.I wouldn't remove those extension pieces they are made of flexible rubber and help deflect air into the lower radiator baffle.They also give the lower bumper cover a nice finished look. Go to Sears and get a good Craftsman floor jack and a pair of jack stands and your in buisiness.

Dave

Diver,
You must be a big boy :D :D

I use the Rhino ramps to change the oil in my C3's and my C4, no problems at all.

Guess you need a good jack and some jackstands.

tom...

Thanks

Thanks for the info on the oil change and the rubber air dam. I can get to the oil drain plug and the filter by driving up on a 3 ft long 2x12. Just thought maybe there was a better way with a little more room. Hey Tom in Round Rock, Tx. Now if I still lived in Tx where I use to eat all them chicken fried steaks in Austin, I probably wouldn't be able to get under my F-250. :>) thanks again fellas for the assist. Didn't know about the extended length oil filter either. Thanks for that also. Terry

Don't remove the front air dam, or you'll lose your highway-speed cooling; it deflects ram air up through the radiator.

Car Ramps

Terry,
Leave your spoilers on!
I made extensions on my metal ramps.
I used 4 foot 2/6 to make the run longer and more gradual!

Barry

That lower air dam also keeps hot air from the engine compartment from being drawn forward and recirculated back through the radiator when you are sitting still. Helps prevent overheating in stop and go traffic.

Tom

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom