Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Oil Change Reset Does Not Work

SSTibet

Corvette
1995 6 Speed Manual Coupe
My oil change reset never worked... Although I tried instructions from the owner's manual several times it never did :( So I gave up on it long time ago :eyerole

Does it have to be reset immediately after the oil change? Like not the next day?

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Selim

Do you have the Helms Service Manual for your car? It should detail how to locate, diagnose and replace your engine oil life monitor.

It sounds as if yours might have stopped functioning.

The device - a $10 sensor in the engine that measures the number of times the pistons fire and the temperature of the oil - has helped many drivers avoid sludge problems.

Sludge clogs oil passageways in the cylinder block. These passageways, which are about the circumference of pipe cleaners, are like arteries.

Once the passages are clogged, moving parts such as valves, pistons and camshafts are starved of oil. They can seize, causing engine-destroying failures.

Onedef92,

I have 2 manuals for the C4 but not the Helms. I take really good care of my Vette and want everything to function as they should. How can I order the part and how easy / difficult is it to replace it?

Cheers buddy,

Selim

Selim, I've never heard of the engine oil life monitor failing on a C-4 Corvette.

I can say that the monitor works as it should on my '92. So much so that I use it to tell me when to change the oil in my car. I found that I was actually wasting money changing out expensive Mobil 1 synthetic oil every 3,000 miles!

You should be able to order one from your Chevy dealer. If you call them and get the GM part number, I can provide you with some links to discount vendors I've dealt with or maybe someone else here will chime in.

For the Helms Manual, you can get them pretty cheap from FactoryAutoManuals.com

http://www.factoryautomanuals.com/home.php

The oil change monitor has to be reset manually every time you change the oil. It does not know that you have changed the oil. You have to tell it! ;)

You will be surprised at how many miles you can go without the lite coming on.

SAVE THE :w

The oil change monitor has to be reset manually every time you change the oil. It does not know that you have changed the oil. You have to tell it! ;)

You will be surprised at how many miles you can go without the lite coming on.

If I understand Selim correctly, he has reset it according to his owner's manual instructions, however, the unit is failing to remind him of programmed oil service intervals.

It's also possible the pin bulb that lights the OIL SERVICE display on the dash is also burned out.

If I understand Selim correctly, he has reset it according to his owner's manual instructions, however, the unit is failing to remind him of programmed oil service intervals.

It's also possible the pin bulb that lights the OIL SERVICE display on the dash is also burned out.

The bulb for the "Change Oil" reset is the same bulb for the "Change Oil" indicator. If Selim is seeing the lite when resetting the monitor, the bulb should lite when the oil change interval is up. One might actually travel up to 7,500 miles before seeing the lite.

Selim,

what steps of the reset procedure (3 or 4) are not working?

1. Turn ignition "ON", but do not start engine.
2. Press the "ENG/MET" button and release, then, within 5 seconds, press it again.
3. Within 5 seconds of Step 2, press and hold the "GAUGES" button. While the button is held, the "Change Oil" indicator will flash.
4. Continue holding the "GAUGES" button until the "Change Oil" indicator stops flashing and goes out, indicating successful completion of the reset cycle. This should take about 10 seconds.

Selim,

what steps of the reset procedure (3 or 4) are not working?

1. Turn ignition "ON", but do not start engine.
2. Press the "ENG/MET" button and release, then, within 5 seconds, press it again.
3. Within 5 seconds of Step 2, press and hold the "GAUGES" button. While the button is held, the "Change Oil" indicator will flash.
4. Continue holding the "GAUGES" button until the "Change Oil" indicator stops flashing and goes out, indicating successful completion of the reset cycle. This should take about 10 seconds.

KOPBET,

Steps 3 & 4 - The "Change Oil" indicator does not flash - so much so I do not even know where this indicator light is in the dash :( May be the light bulb is gone south?

Selim

KOPBET,

Steps 3 & 4 - The "Change Oil" indicator does not flash - so much so I do not even know where this indicator light is in the dash :( May be the light bulb is gone south?

Selim
I admit it's a rare occurrence for that bulb to burn out due to infrequent illumination, but it's certainly not outside the realm of possibility.

I admit it's a rare occurrence for that bulb to burn out due to infrequent illumination, but it's certainly not outside the realm of possibility.

Where is the light located???

Selim

Where is the light located???

Selim

In the large pic above, follow the yellow tach pointer over to the left. I believe it should come on during the lamp test when turning on the ignition.

Thanks much folks, I will check the lamp when I turn on the ignition next time. If the light comes on then it would not be the lamp and probable cause would be the sensor itself.

I am wandering part number for the sensor and where I can get it from???

Selim

The "Change oil" light is right above the "Security" light and DOES come on during the lamp test when ignition is turned on.

The "Change oil" light is right above the "Security" light and DOES come on during the lamp test when ignition is turned on.

KOPBET, I am not arguing to the point you have made above. All I am asking is the ordering info fod the sensor in case there is nothing wrong with the light.

Selim

KOPBET, I am not arguing to the point you have made above. All I am asking is the ordering info fod the sensor in case there is nothing wrong with the light.

Selim

Just trying to help Selim!

I don't believe there is a sensor, per se, to order for the oil monitor. I'll need to do some more research, but I believe several factors/conditions of the engine are monitored during run time and the oil life is computed.

Just trying to help Selim!

I don't believe there is a sensor, per se, to order for the oil monitor. I'll need to do some more research, but I believe several factors/conditions of the engine are monitored during run time and the oil life is computed.

Okkey dokkey :)

Thanks my friend,

Selim

The computer monitors water temp,oil temp, oil preasure and mileage to determine when the light comes on there is no sensor. I am not sure but I think it is the ECM computer.

The computer monitors water temp,oil temp, oil preasure and mileage to determine when the light comes on there is no sensor. I am not sure but I think it is the ECM computer.

Engine RPMs not included in that mix?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom