Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

oil change

T

Toms 81.Dads

The shiney 81 is in need of an oil change, the dealer we purchased the beauty from states to us a 20 w 50 oil ??? while the local chevy dealer suggests a 10 w 30 oil in the hot Arizona sun. Any suggestions before we end up ruining the engine. Thank You..

I have a 1980 corvette and i run 10w30, I live in utah and haven't had any problems. there again it's personal preference on what you want...

Oil Change..

Toms 81.Dads,

This is a really good question. You may end up more confused by the time everyone responds and offers suggestions :D

I'm in my 50's so I come from the OLD school and change oil about every three thousand miles or so, or in the case of my Corvette every four months or 3000 miles, which ever comes first.

I've used Kendall 10 ~ 40 since Moby Dick was a minnow, or at least until I moved to California 14 years ago. Kendall is to hard to find out here, so I've gone to Castrol GTX 10 ~ 40. I am one that doesn't believe in Oil Additives , or Parafan based Oils.

The 10 ~ 40 has good viscosity range, and my oil pressure seems to stay around 40 on the plus side cruising down the road. I've used 20 ~ 50 before but noticed a little higher oil pressure and temperature increase too.

This is just my opinion and experience.

BudD
:w

Edit Comment: I just went and looked in my owners manual, "Use SF-quality oils..... For temperatures above -18C (0F), use SAE 10W-30 .... below -18C, use SAE 5W-30 viscosity oils" this is from page 5-4 of the 1981 Owners Manual.

I understand you...

I've been concerned about the same thing and will be changing from a Castrol 20w50 to 10w40 or just a 30w. I received some very good input and advice on my "Pegging 70" post. If you want to read it, it may help you as it did me. I'm thankful that the people on this board are not selfish with their expertise and willingingly help people with little mechanical skills like me.

Thanks, guys.

72 Bluz

In keeping with Rare81's warning here is my recommendation to further confuse and cloud your decision making.
After brake in, use the lightest synthetic oil you can get while maintaining your minimum recommended oil pressure.
Although expensive as hell it takes abuse better, you can go longer between oil changes.

Thanks redmist

;) :L ..I was starting get worried.. :L

I have friends that swear by synthetic oil. I believe the C5 require it. :D

BudD
:w

What little I can determine by oil properties, been in the oil business for several years. You want a low viscosity oil (10W) when the weather is cool, morning starts etc. and a higher viscosity (40W) when you are running hot. (Arizona). If I were living in Arizona, I would run a straight 30 weight. I live in Louisiana, not too much different in the summer, always 100 degrees and run a 10W30 with excellent results.
Hope this helps.
Jeff

Chevrolet has for years recommended 10-30 oil for for most situations. Some of the newer engines require 5w-30, and the new vettes synthetic. The low cold end number allows a very rapid build-up of the oil wedge that forms between the bearing and journal at cold start. the higher the cold number the slower the wedge will be to form and the more likely it wil be to damage a bearing due to lack of oil. My 2 cents worth is....use 10w-30, any good grade, I use Castrol GTX. If the weather is constantly above 80 I might consider using 10w-40 until the weather cools a bit.

THANK YOU FOR ALL OF THE GREAT INFO ON THE OIL CHANGE. I'LL TAKE THE FIFTH AND TELL MY SON TO GO WITH THE 10-40W OIL. ITS AMAZING THAT IN A HOT, DRY CLIMATE LIKE THIS IS OVER HERE IN ARIZONA EVERYTHING IS JUST A LITTLE DIFFERENT.... THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE..

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom