Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

oil filter and oil

larryfs

just brought an LT4......
what oil filter goes on there, and are you guys running the recommended syn 5w-30 or cheaper dino oil.

yeah, I know, lame questions, but I'm too lazy to crawl under there tonight :)

Hey Larry, Welcome to the wonderful world of LT4 ownership. These cars are awesome. Tell us more about your car when you get a chance. As far as the oil goes, you gotta go w/ Mobil 1 5w-30. I don't recall the filter # off hand but I know I used the better one and not the cheepie. I don't put many miles on and only change twice a year. I do it myself and cost less than $40. It does not pay to skimp in this area. I hope the previous owner did not put dino in but if he did get it out and put the Mobil 1 in as soon as you can. Good Luck, Guy

I respectfully disagree.................it's a free country.......he doesn't have to go with Monopoly One..............Valvoline Full Synthetic will work just as well...................and as to the viscosity............it's your call.................I run 10W-30................w/Fram Double Guard (oil filter)............

All Filters:
Type Brand Name Part # Notes
SURE DRAIN - DRAIN PLUG SUREDRAIN SD1 1/2-20 Standard
SURE DRAIN - DRAIN PLUG SUREDRAIN SD4 12mmx1.75mm
OIL FILTERS EXTRA GUARD PH3980
OIL FILTERS TOUGH GUARD TG3980
OIL FILTERS DOUBLE GUARD DG3980
OIL FILTERS X2 XG3980
Air Filters FRAM CA7007
Misc. Filters FRAM N/R
Fuel Filters FRAM G3727
PCV Valves FRAM FV296
Transmission - Filter FRAM FT1146 4L60-E w/Shallow Pan
Transmission - Modulator FRAM N/R

http://www.fram.com/home/index.html

lt4 gs said:
Monopoly One..............

:L :L :L

I think everyone in here is probably running synthetic though, brand varies with preference. I use Monopoly One oil (5W-30)and filter. Thought about K&N's oil filter, but they're not locally available so I don't bother.

While we're on the subject of oil's:
Any one got a clue why my engine guy said not to run syn. oil in my rebuilt engine until 20k miles?

Sibe, tell your buddy that Vettes come new with Mobil 1 in the crankcase. So much for breaking in the rings. That's what he thinks might happen... >>> rings not seating properly.
Generally, next time one changes their oil filter, top off the filter with oil. Let the oil soak in the pleats. Just keep adding those quarts to the crankcase and check the filter again. When the oil is low or not visible, keep adding the oil until it's just to the top. Careful not to spill when installing the filter.
The reason you did this, is to have "instant" oil pressure. If you installed the filter dry, it would take a few seconds to achieve pressure. Just an added measure of safety. This is an old racing trick.
Open the hood and read what is recommended for oil. The owner's manual is another location for finding the correct oil use.

I have used mobil 1 for years now... When i took off the valve covers on my '93 at about 95k miles, it looked like a brand new engine... A friend that used standard stuff, because he didn't believe in Mobil 1, had an engine with 60k that looked like an old smokers lung inside.

Oh I wish he was my buddy...maybe he wouldn't have screwed me so hard.
Couldn't find any ref. to Syn. oil in the owners manual. Was it used in 84?
Run syn. in in all my cars until now.
With my luck something would happen to the engine while it was under warranty and that poop would send a sample of the oil to a lab to have it checked.
(Can ya tell I haven't had the best experience with this engine shop?)

Sibexpress said:
While we're on the subject of oil's:
Any one got a clue why my engine guy said not to run syn. oil in my rebuilt engine until 20k miles?
Was he inebriated????
coffee.gif

that shouldn't take more than 1k at most..........more n' likely 500..........and I'd use Monopoly One or Valvoline (Full) Synthetic right from the get go.......stand on it right away IMHO
MODhappychevelle.gif

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom