Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Oil filter removal without removing oil?

• Thread starter Thread starter jedi
  • Start date Start date
J

jedi

Is it possible to remove the oil filter without removing all the oil from my 95? I have a bad seal on the oil filter adapter assembly and need to replace it, but have done this 2 times in the past month and Mobile one is getting expensive. I don't want to buy another case of oil.
Jedi

Doesn't answer your question, but here's a suggestion: Why not put less expensive oil in until you're sure the leak is fixed? Then go back to the good stuff once it's tight.

Sure, you can go ahead and remove the oil filter without removing the oil first. No oil will leak out from the full pan during this process.

To help avoid bearing stress when you start up, try to fill the oil cartridge about 3/4 full with fresh oil before spinning it back on.

Yes, it is entirely possible to replace the filter without draining all of the oil. You will of course, lose the quart that the filter held. And oh yes, always fill the filter with oil before replacing it on the block. ;)

Ken said:
And oh yes, always fill the filter with oil before replacing it on the block. ;)

I have seen this suggestions several times on this site. While I did this on my last oil change, I'm interested in the reasoning behind this suggestion.

Leon

If you fill the filter container with oil before installation, you have less space to fill with oil before the bearings and the rest get their share. Start-up is probably one of the toughest cycles an engine goes through.

_ken

Gorgon,
I just don't want to waste the 4.5 quarts I just put in last weekend. I messed up the seal on the oil filter adapter so I only have to remove it and not the oil pan. Thus saving $35, small amount I know but in the last 2 months I have had to by 3 cases so I am at $100 just for the oil that was only used for less than 100 miles.
Jedi

i went against everything i know and stopped at a quick , fast , speedy,rapid lube and had oil changed , guess they thought it needed both gaskets on the oil filter , anyway i lost a lot of oil and made a mess b 4 i got home , never ever again ...

but to answer the question , just spin it off , make sure gasket comes off too , put oil in new filter and spin a new one on .. all you lose it what was in the old filter.

and by the way its kinda funny , they didn't even clean off the grease fittings , much less put grease in them ..

Can one of you describe what the correct gasket looks like. I have 2 that came with my oil pan gasket which look like thick rubber bands, and then two I puchased from the local dealer which 1 looks like a thin rubberband and another which is a flat round piece which has two holes in it for the bolts. I put the two from the dealer in but I think they are too small and that is where my leak is coming from.
Jedi

What gaskets are you guys talking about? The spin-on filter gasket is a permanent part of the filter and should stay with the filter. Now the oil cooler adapter, which I assume you have, probably has gaskets on both sides of it that are removable, but I can't picture where you guys are headed. :confused

_ken

oil filter gasket

There's a gasket above the oil filter adapter. After removing the oil filter, remove the two bolts that are now visible and pull down the adapter. Use your finger. A tool may break or scratch the adapter. It's been so long that I've had this gasket off that I don't recall its shape (round or square cross section). Use the one that looks like the old one and don't put any sealer or anything on it. Assure that the surface on the adapter that the oil filter gasket touches has no scratches, etc. (the gasket on the oil filter, that is). Also make sure that the adapter has NO cracks, etc.
I had one of these adapters slightly loose and it really made a mess.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom