Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Oil Leak. Need Assistance

T

Tanzanite3

Our 91 has a slight oil leak. Seems to be from the rear of the engine. Looks like from below it is leaking from the head gasket??
The head looks quite dry and the moisture starts near the block where it meets the head. I've heard about a typical intake oil leak on L98's .. Can anyone steer me in the general direction of more information on this? How is it solved if this is it?

Thanks all.

"corners"... maybe?

Just a guess, but ... clean back of heads & rear of intake & adjacent block off REAL good ... then monitor closely ... focus on two sites: where the intake meets block ... and where intake meets head. Too often it'll leak in "the corner" where the intake & head & block meet. If so, often the squeeze-seal that lays atop the rear of block (seals intake to block) is faulty. If so, head removal is NOT needed. Pull intake and replace both R & L intake-to-head gaskets and replace both F & R intake-to-block seals. The 4 corners of seals will require liberal and "deft" applications of RTV sealant. Hope this helps ... let us know.
JACK:gap

Fisrt check the OP gage sender!

As you're cleaning back of motor ... clean the oil pressure gage sending unit that sits atop rear-most edge of block ... then monitor the sender area for leaks. Senders often spring a leak (or a weep) ... and replacements are cheap!

Take a good look at the valve cover gasket also.

Oil leak trick

Glenn:

One quick way to help find the source of your oil leak is to use a can of Brake Clean. Spray the back of your engine liberally and wipe it off. Drive the car and check for oil leak trail. A little dusting will reveal the source. Also check the base of your distributer, sometimes that gasket fails.

Thanks All

Thank you everyone for the input.. When it was up on the hoist we noticed that the seepage started at about block height but didn't seem to be as high as head / rocker cover height.. from that we eliminated the rocker cover gasket. We also checked the distributor area and it seemed to be quite dry as did the pressure sending unit. So, we wiped and sprayed clean all the underneath and will put it up on the hoist again sometime Monday (provided it doesn't rain all weekend!) and try to trace the source. I'll let you all know what happens. It does sound like the intake leak described... we'll look closely at that area.
Isn't it amazing how messy everything gets under there in a short time?

Re: Oil leak trick

GreyGhost said:
Glenn:

One quick way to help find the source of your oil leak is to use a can of Brake Clean. Spray the back of your engine liberally and wipe it off. Drive the car and check for oil leak trail. A little dusting will reveal the source. Also check the base of your distributer, sometimes that gasket fails.

You beat me to it Al. This is how I have found past oil leaks:D

Jay

Probably the rear intake seal. Just did mine this past winter.

Re: "corners"... maybe?

Jack said:
Just a guess, but ... clean back of heads & rear of intake & adjacent block off REAL good ... then monitor closely ... focus on two sites: where the intake meets block ... and where intake meets head. Too often it'll leak in "the corner" where the intake & head & block meet. If so, often the squeeze-seal that lays atop the rear of block (seals intake to block) is faulty. If so, head removal is NOT needed. Pull intake and replace both R & L intake-to-head gaskets and replace both F & R intake-to-block seals. The 4 corners of seals will require liberal and "deft" applications of RTV sealant. Hope this helps ... let us know.

Ihad a oil leak that was coming from the back of the motor and it turned out to be the sending unit that JACK is talking about.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom