Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

oil pressure sensor

J

jorge33265

I have a 97 A4.. Ive replaced my oil pressure switch the one behind the intake manifold thats a bi___ch to get to 3 times this year. I use GM original parts. After i install the new one it works just fine. After a couple of months both the digital and analog reading get peged at 130 somthing psi.. But like i said the new switch works fine for a couple of months. What can be causing this?

I don't really have any in-depth knowledge of this issue (although the oil pressure reading on my Vette that I got 2 months ago has been pegged at 80/130 psi since at least May 2001, according to the service records), but I did have a thought. Is the sensor itself the same as the "sending unit" that I've heard mentioned? If not, then perhaps you're replacing the wrong thing, maybe? That might explain why it works for a little while-- you know, the ol' "jiggle the handle" fix that doesn't last forever... Anyway, probably way off, but just thought I'd suggest the possibility...

Good luck!
Fred

Yea im replacing the Sender thats behind the intake manifold. Sound like the same problem your having the 80/130 thing. The changing the sender will definatly fix your problem also. I just wonder why mine keeps going out. Maybe a short or something. This seems to happen alot on vettes. I was wondering if there is an aftermarket sender or something thats better

my 98 has had that problem since i've owned it. one of these days i'm going to fix it. question...did you remove the manifold to get to the sender.

Yup you have to remove the manifiold to get to it.. You will need gaskets ect...

jorge33265 said:
Yup you have to remove the manifiold to get to it.. You will need gaskets ect...
Has anyone seen this problem fix itself, or is it a terminal problem?

Likely terminal. I've had it happen on 2 Vettes now, a '98 and a 2000. The '98 was that way when I got it. One day I noticed the 2000's gauge was pegged at 80 and started swearing, because I had hoped that one wouldn't have the problem. A couple of outings after that showed the gauge/sensor to be cooperating sporadically, but that became less and less common. Eventually, I broke down, bought a replacement sensor, and "dug in" to perform the repair myself. Doable, but definitely put hair on my chest... :D Gotta watch that vacuum hose that runs into the back of the intake manifold-- it doesn't like to cooperate!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom