Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Oil

Rob

Site Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Corvette
1990 Corvette ZR-1
Pulled this off the ZR1Net:

Hi, there has been a lot of question and answer back and forth regarding what lubricants to use in our vehicles. Let me share my experiences with you:

In 1995 I went to work for Castrol for a while. At the time I was a Mobil 1 user and fairly pleased with the performance in my vehicles. My oil change interval was 10K miles or once a year which ever came first. Working for Castrol I felt obliged to try out Syntec. In my highly modified 1985 Corvette, my oil temp dropped about 7-8 degrees over the Mobil 1. Therefore, I switched to Syntec across the board.

In the last few years I have noticed a perceptible difference in
vehicle performance after an oil change (we have 5) which should not be the case with a quality synthetic, so I had started doing research on motor oils. I discovered that some time back, Castrol changed the Syntec base stock from Type IV PAO technology to Type III which is not really a synthetic at all. Most especially, I discovered in the last week that I had 25% volatilization in one vehicle after 3700 miles, 20% in a vehicle after 2800 miles, 10% in the ZR-1 and the lawnmower was off the dipstick. Now I'm a very unhappy camper, but, there is a happy ending.

After much research, I selected Amsoil to try out. This was an acid test; engine, trans & diff in the ZR-1. 10W30 in the engine, 5W30 in the Trans and gear Lube in the Diff. (By the way, the 11 year old trans fluid with 12,500 miles on it was like water and the shift was very
notchy when hot). Now about 95% of that cam chain start up noise is gone, the tranny noise is gone and the diff works fine. Amsoil is also Type IV PAO technology and seems to be a winner.

I'd be careful with the Redline products, I know that many people like them, but the Ester based technology doesn't really like the types of additives that should go into street engines.

Best of luck to all,

Rob, that's a very interesting article. I wonder if Mobile 1 uses the Type IV PAO technology cause that's all thats ever been run in my Z. I've never heard of Amsoil??

Jay

Amsoil is another high end oil company, similar to red line (not the oil, but the company itself and the market they cater)

I am very amazed that Castrol would do anything like that... it sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen!

And to think I've got a case of Castrol Syntec waiting in the garage for when I switch to synthetic after the next oil change. I broke the engine in with petroleum-based oil. ;)

_ken :w

The same, unsigned post appeared on the ZR-1 Net mailing list and elsewhere.

The information about Castrol is correct. In fact, Mobil Oil Corp. and Castrol USA were in arbitration via the National Association of Better Business Bureaus about this very issue. They chose to arbitrate rather than litigate because arbiitration drew almost no media attention.

The information about Red Line Oils ester-based products not being compatible with additives needed for street use is not accurate.

It's possible, this post is disinformation from an Amsoil dealer.

I have A few close freinds in IL. that have ZR1'S and none
of them wait 10K,as A matter of fact none of them wait 2500 miles to do an oil change.You could be running
the best synthetic out there it doesn't matter the oil will
break down.I can only imagine what the inside of that motor
looks like.
I guess thats the price you pay when your misinformed.

:mad :Steer

synthetic oil

Rob, good testimonial. Glad to see you over here on the synthetic side. I have just been dicussing similar stuff with some of the guys in the C-4 tech discussion. Check out the threads. You can't go wrong with Amsoil. I have been using for over 10 years now, and have been a dealer for nine. Mainly to get the price discount. The Amsoil synthetic DOES NOT break down. You can check out all the tests. They do a number of them constantly to stay ahead. Their standards are higher than what is required. And now your interval changes can be even longer than the 10,000 miles you did do. Amsoil says 25,000 or one year and 6 months with their filters.
And talking with a tech guy from the plant once, they actually use Mobil one for some of their chemicals, up until recently they wouldn't do any test against Mobil. Their filter were Hastings. You will see from the past threads, where I used to work, we used it on everything and I mean everything.

Brian

Hib Halverson said:
The information about Castrol is correct. In fact, Mobil Oil Corp. and Castrol USA were in arbitration via the National Association of Better Business Bureaus about this very issue. They chose to arbitrate rather than litigate because arbiitration drew almost no media attention.

Does this mean that Mobil1 is doing the same thing?

I also keep hearing of this Amsoil.
Where can it be found?
I have only heard of it since reading posts on this site.

Pilot, to be honest I haven't been following the Mobil 1 thing for some time. It may now be even possible that they, (Amsoil), is using other chemicals, maybe their own now. That may be why they have been doing comparitive tests against them now. I haven't been to any of the dealer meetings for a while. Gotten lazy on pushing the leads as I did when I first started using Amsoil. I can find out whatever you may need to know, or questions you may have regarding amsoil, and possibily send you some info.
Amsoil was the very first synthetic made, the others are all copies from this product. They can provide you with any type of lubricant you may need. And the oil will not void any factory warranty. They guarantee it in writing.
It mostly can be found through dealers, or a knowledgable shop or parts shop.
If you want, e-mail me your mailing address, I'll get a catalog and other info. to you, or you can call Amsoil for a dealer near you. Number is (715)392-7101, that's in Wisconsin. There is also a number for Tech. questions, ask them for that number. Web is amsoil.com. If anything specific, as far as product you need please let me know, I can price for you and would be happy to order for you also.

Brian

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom