Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

OK, little problem here.....

JT ZR-Won

Corvette
'90 ZR-1 #3010
This is what's going on......
I took my '90 ZR out last night. When I started the car, the red "INFL REST" light appears for about 2 seconds and then shuts off (like normal). Except last night, after it turned off it popped on again right away along with my seatbelt light.
The car still ran perfectly though...........
I started it up this morning & I'm getting the same thing ----"INFL REST" light along with the seatbelt light except now I'm also getting the dreaded "CHECK ENGINE SOON" light. Arrrrggghh! My display panel looked like the 4th of July.....

I'm hoping the engine light is on because of the "INFL REST" light because the car (knock on wood) is still running perfectly.
Hmmmmm.........anyone have any ideas as to what this could be? I heard the airbag system might not be working right...?

Jay

Sounds like a faulty sensor somewhere go to your Chev Dealer and have them Plug in they'll tell ya whats up for sure!

Hey Jay, I looked around a little more and found this:

Title: 1990 Infl Rest Light
Date: 10/12/1999
Question: I have a 90 corvette conv with 42,000 miles and suddenly the infl rest light came on and stays on ! I was given advice by someone ( who did know what he was doing ) to unhook battery and see if that fixed it. Nothing doing, it still comes on BUT now my radio is locked ! I guess I didn't realize that when I bought the car I should have asked the previous owner the code and changed it to one I knew ! Now, not having a mechanical background, should I take the car to the dealer with the INFL REST light RIGHT away ! ( I have looked at fuses and they seem ok ).. is their something else I should do, or just bite the bullet and pay the dealership ?? Any idea about the radio, getting it unlocked ?
- Bill

Answer: Get the air bag system checked. Sometimes a GM dealer can reset the radio but most of time the radio has to be sent out to be reset.
- The Vette Pros

Not very useful, eh? :L

Thanks a bunch for the info Ken. I'll be tackling this little problem over the next couple of days.

Jay

Kill the light

Jay heres the deal,
The Light goes on if it cant see one of the sensors
TYPICALLY ( or of course the bag..or the computer dies etc.)

The sensors are on the foward side of the frame under the master vac booster and under the AC on the upper frame rails.

Now its a two part deal
One
Buy The Mid america Air bag code clear tool! You have a 90... you need this!
Two
Disconnect the battery
remove the side panels
loose the battery
remove the sensors
clean the metal on the frame rail & underside the sensor
Take the time to clean the frame grounds that are close by.
Put it all back together
Use the code clear tool life is now good!

Mike
88 convert

Re: Kill the light

vigman said:
Jay heres the deal,
The Light goes on if it cant see one of the sensors
TYPICALLY ( or of course the bag..or the computer dies etc.)

The sensors are on the foward side of the frame under the master vac booster and under the AC on the upper frame rails.

Now its a two part deal
One
Buy The Mid america Air bag code clear tool! You have a 90... you need this!
Two
Disconnect the battery
remove the side panels
loose the battery
remove the sensors
clean the metal on the frame rail & underside the sensor
Take the time to clean the frame grounds that are close by.
Put it all back together
Use the code clear tool life is now good!

Mike
88 convert

vigman,
Thanks for the info. I will definately give this a try.

Jay

Barbie said:
Hey Jay, check out

http://hometown.aol.com/scotfab/old_proj7/old_proj7.html

and don't forget to use dielectric grease under the sensors. You might also want to extend the draining hose on the drivers side so water doesn't promote corrosion.

Just wait till you get an SYS....the joys of owning a '90.

Barbie

Wow! Great link Barbie:D
If that doesn't fix it, I don't think anything will:) Thanks again!

Jay

Something simple......?

You obviously have a lot of great advise on the "infl" deal, but I would also like to point out that many times these weird problems are because of low voltage, ESPECIALLY the check engine soon light. So before you dig too deep, be sure to check yourcharging, and especially battery voltage, after being off overnite.

Regards as always,

Re: Something simple......?

ArtZR1991 said:
......So before you dig too deep, be sure to check yourcharging, and especially battery voltage, after being off overnite.

will do Art:)

Jay

FIXED!!

Woohoo!! Problem solved. I just received the INFL REST Code Clearing tool from Mid-America and it worked perfectly. Thanks for all the help everyone:D

I would have been pulling my hair out over here if it wasn't for you guys....

Jay

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom