Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Old Hose Clamps or New

gkurtz

Corvette
92 Bright Red Convertable
I am replacing all the radiator hoses on my 92 (original 5k miles) this weekend and I am trying to decide whether to replace the hose clamps with new screw type clamps or just re-use the original ones. I want to keep eveything original but dont want to compromise the repair.

gkurtz said:
I am replacing all the radiator hoses on my 92 (original 5k miles) this weekend and I am trying to decide whether to replace the hose clamps with new screw type clamps or just re-use the original ones. I want to keep everything original but dont want to compromise the repair.

I would. It can't hurt and it's cheap insurance. If someone is anal enough to check the hose clamps for originality no doubt he'll find a hundred other things on your car that is not original.

A friend of mine didn't bother to replace them on his Waveblaster. (Personal Watercraft). The Yamaha "engineers" used zip ties instead of clamps to connect the cooling lines :eek. After a couple of years the vibration must have caused one to let go and he lost cooling to his engine... boom!

Just wondering why are you replacing hoses with 5k on them? I am not totally sure but since I have OEM clamps that mine have 155k on them and arent mushy or dry rotted.

I would replace them, they're only a few bucks.:D

Edmond said:
I would replace them, they're only a few bucks.:D
It not he bucks. It was whether to keep it original. Would have bought the original clamps from the dealer. I went with original hoses. I did today replace the clamps with S.S. worm gear types. My local Chevy parts dealer said to use the new type.

"Some" ss worm gear clamps are crap, if you use them make sure they are high quality. I'd buy new oem or reuse the originals - I think you can tell buy how hard they come off/go on if they have life left in them.

Most of the ones I've reused were damn stiff & I had no worries that they would hold. I tend to like them over the worm type.

You can always keep the originals in a box and put em' on when you go to a show. That way, the originals are protected and you have new clamps on there when doing your non show driving.:D

Edmond said:
You can always keep the originals in a box and put em' on when you go to a show. That way, the originals are protected and you have new clamps on there when doing your non show driving.:D
Thats funny. I was thinking the same thing.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom