Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Old Indy Cars

indy500-23.jpg

Old car, new driver.

Sorry, we were staging for a parade and the other 2 pictures I have are from the same position showing Sam climbing into the car and putting on the steering wheel. The next picture I was able to get as we rolled out was of one of his collectables. Dig the license plate.:L:L

Although it never ran at Indy in this form it did run there dressed differently. Behold, a "JET VETTE," a 1978 Silver Anniversary Corvette, which is powered by a Pratt & Whitney ST6-27 turbine engine producing 880 shaft horsepower.
This Jet Vette was built by Andy Granatelli and his son Vince, of the STP racecar fame, using one of the Turbine engines that he ran at Indianapolis 500 during the late 60's. The project, which took nearly a year and a half to build, was completed in late 1979, and shortly after found itself on the front cover of the November '79 issue of Motor Trend Magazine as the feature article.
In the late summer of 1998, after being contacted by Pratt & Whitney Canada in Montreal, the Jet Vette was transported to the factory where the engine was built, to celebrate the company's 70th anniversary. Not only did the car receive overwhelming attention from the employees and area residents, but it also got the attention of the many local Corvette Club members, who came to watch the Jet Vette perform down the runways apron.
Not to far from where the other pictures were taken and belongs to a member of our Corvette club. I can hear that thing today, loved that sound.:thumb

My good friend and super nice guy in the famous capsule car by Smokey Yunick entry Indy 1964...... and his own entry in 1965.
He got me into this crazy auto/racing aftermarket business when I was a kid. What a good guy !!

BobbyJohnsII-1.jpg

BobbyJohns.jpg

Have you got anymore pictures of the Capsule car?

No I don't....those pictures were ones that I found on line, and used to answer your thread. Bobby Johns is still alive and lives in Miami. The last time I spoke with him was 2 years ago at the race in Homstead. When I was a kid my friends and I would visit his shop and he would talk racing and show us all the artifacts of his career. Remember he drove factory Pontiacs and Chevy's in Nascar too. When I started racing in IMSA and SCCA, at Sebring and Daytona he was always there to give us advice and inside tips. He had factory GM pieces in his shop that were one of a kind...never supposed to exist. Things from Smoky etc. He was one of the nicest people I ever met. One time he introduced us to Parnelli Jones. Everyone famous came up to him and treated him like a king at the Indy car races at Homestead whenever he went. He told us stories about the "Capsule", STP Turbines...on and on. What a fine gentleman !! I wish there were more like him today.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom