Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Old School Stock Cars

Thanks for the comments. I assume you've been reading Driven to the Past on Frontstretch.com.

stock10.jpg

The Fred Lorenzen pit stop at the top of this page is from the 1964 Yankee 300 on the road course at Indianapolis Raceway Park, which Fred won. The picture on this thread of Linda Vaughn and Fred on the hood was taken after that race by Dennis Unger.

No, I was covering the race. Johnny Shipman was the flagman for that USAC stock car event.

Now you flagged for USAC, ASA and what other organizations and series did you work?

I only filled in a bit with USAC when their man couldn't get to IRP early in the 80s and 90s. I started flagging at the old Fairgrounds Motor Speedway in Louisville in 1962, and was there until it closed in 1980.

At the same time, I flagged for the UMRA TQs, and with ARCA at other tracks in addition to FMS, and then with ASA from 1972 through 1984. Also was flagman at a NASCAR Winston Racing Series track in 1983 and 1984. In 1985 I became News Director at IRP.

From 1962 through 1984, and some later, I did some free lance flagging at a LOT of tracks in Kentucky and other states. Never regretted a minute of it. Thanks for asking.

I wish that I lived close enough to you so I could hear the stories of your time in the flagstand and hear about some of the well known drivers and promoters that you have worked with. It's always interesting too to hear how someone got started working in racing. I've been to IRP twice in the 90's, once for the night before the 500 midget race. Then I was there the next year the week of the Brickyard for the truck race. I used to have a next door neighbor that had an airplane.

I took this photo almost 10 years ago. A family I go to church with and have grown up around own this car. I never knew they had it until it showed up at the local car show. It was first owned by Cale and then sold to Coo Coo Marlin. They bought it from Coo Coo and qulaified it at Talladega.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom