Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

On my 85 have to smack the headlight after turning on the headlights

gmhowe

Corvette
1985 4+3 black cpe & 96 LT1 CE
Have to smack the headlight on the driver side after turning on the headlights to get to open up, right one is fine. But its taking more smacks lately, any ideas as to what needs replacing ?
Thanx in advance
Gordon

Try lifting the hood and turn on the lights and see if it acts the same or not. If they work now, it's likely the lights are catching on something.

It's more than likely that nothing needs to be replaced. The '84 - '87 headlight motors have limit switches in the motors that can get dirty, which will cause this problem. These switches can be cleaned by opening the motors. It's a very good idea to lubricate the motor bearings and the gears with light weight white grease like Lubriplate or CRC to keep the motors working smoothly. There is a lot of information on doing this task, which you can find with a Google search. Be aware, the repair procedure for the '88 - '96 C4 headlight motors is entirely different!!

I'll try that thanx, it's funny I just replaced the gear in my 96 headlight and now it catches on the small hose on the driver side of the radiator when trying to open it. Go figure.:L

I'll try that thanx, it's funny I just replaced the gear in my 96 headlight and now it catches on the small hose on the driver side of the radiator when trying to open it. Go figure.:L
Had something like that once. Good situation for wire tires.

I agree....Gotta love zip ties around the headlights on a C4. Greatest invention since sliced bread. The outer covers are adjustable for fit should they be rubbing or not matching up with the hood too.

Last edited:
ok so why after just changing out the crappy plastic gear to a metal one change the position of the headlight so it now catches on the hose ?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom