Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

on the road

chevy6673

Corvette
1973 Corvette ,1966 ss impala
heres a ??????? ..but first i would like to say thanks there seems 2 be a wealth of knowledge here ....if chevy made 40.000 vettes in 1975 does the D M V or anyone keep count on how many are still on the road

Interesting that you ask, I've wondered the same thing. I have a '82' and wondered how many of those are left. I'm sure there are a lot of them that aren't currently plated, so the BMV may not be able to tell the exact number, but it would be interesting to know.

you are right not plated i think they should all be titled . ??

I dont think you will get an acurate count. I always wondered how many of my CE were still alive, but, if you think about it, it'll be close to impossible to find out.

Even on a specific website such as the 82ce registry, we will never capture all that have one.

Titles are specific to the state, correct ? Then you would need to query all 50 of them DMVs. Even if you accomplish that, who's to say that the title and the VIN match a car ? There is fraud out there..

Dont forget, some cars have been exported and lost their US Title. ;)

A shame though, it would be interesting..

:w
-Stefan

Probably 15% of production was exported and never had a US title to start with.
I think 15% is a bit high, that would mean from 53 to 82 (total: 729840 cars), 109476 cars would have been exported ? Dunno about that..

Also, AFAIK, there were no explicitly "for export" built cars in C1-C2-C3. All were built for domestic and only exported after initial title was given, not that it makes much difference, as you couldnt get any of those numbers anyway (imagine having to query the Customs database for exported cars :crazy)..

Also, AFAIK, there were no explicitly "for export" built cars in C1-C2-C3. All were built for domestic and only exported after initial title was given)

Yes, there were - hundreds of C1-C2-C3's were exported directly overseas without ever seeing a U.S. dealer or a U.S. title; export units were shipped directly from St. Louis to Mortensen's Warehouse in Baltimore, who was Chevy's contractor at the port for preparation and shipping, and were handled at various ports of entry in the U.K., France, and Belgium by GM Europe, where the necessary conversion work was done to meet local regulations and the European certification plates and numbers were added.

:beer

I think 15% is a bit high, that would mean from 53 to 82 (total: 729840 cars), 109476 cars would have been exported ? Dunno about that..

Volume of cars exported just to Canada averaged 6-10% of total production IIRC. I think Wayne Midkiff has the actual numbers or maybe George at GM Canada in Oshawa told me. Got CRS as usual.

I found my reference numbers, it was in Peter Licastro's book 1973-77 Corvette fact manual

Cars exported to Canada:

1973- 2079 cars - 6.8%
1974- 2751 cars - 7.3%
1975- 3097 cars - 8.1%
1976- 4289 cars - 9.2%
1977- 4123 cars - 8.4%

I stand corrected.

Thanks for the info guys.

:w
-Stefan

I found my reference numbers, it was in Peter Licastro's book 1973-77 Corvette fact manual

Cars exported to Canada:

1973- 2079 cars - 6.8%
1974- 2751 cars - 7.3%
1975- 3097 cars - 8.1%
1976- 4289 cars - 9.2%
1977- 4123 cars - 8.4%

Looks like export numbers for C3s have almost always been less than 10% of annual production. Might be higher for C4s since they actually had export models.
:)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom