Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

One More Shock Question

misterKTM

Corvette
'93 Black 6 Speed
Doing some shopping around for good deal on bilstein shocks - based on the suggestions from you all....have one more question....I don't have the Z51 suspension, but someone said they put Z51 shocks on their car that didn't have the option...Is there any mods that need to be done to do this ? What is the difference in the stock shock versus the Z51 shock ?? What is the consensus here...is it best to go with the Z51's ??????

Thanks,

rob

Thanks guys.

So you think the Z51 shocks will reduce the step-out around bumpy corners ? That is my real complaint...the car won't hold a line through the corner when there are bumps in the road - and I'm not driving fast by any means - I'm just talking normal driving down a country road. Thoughts ?

In my experience the only shock that seems to control 'step out' are the MSRC shocks on the 03. They certainly do the job but they don't retrofit onto anything!

That said, I still prefer the Z51 shock to the standard shock on a C4 with out FX3.

I'm going to send my FX3 shocks to Bilstein one of these days and have them rebuilt to the 'sport' valving to get the better performance I want.

Later

Rob,
I answered some of your question in response to your other shock post. The Sport/Z51 shocks are about 20% stiffer. Requires no mods to install. They line up just fine and use your original bolts. Your old ones require a small wrench or vise grips on the top of the shock to loosen the nut. The new ones use an allen key in the top. Much easier to work with. The fronts are a joke to do. Never had it that easy before. On the back you'll have to fight a little with the bottom bolt cause it's cranked in pretty good. The top of the tower has 2 bolts. Take them out and drop the shock and mount as one peice. Then remove the mount and install the new shock into it and bolt in place. Remove the wheel at each corner if you want the job to go easier. You don't have to but it gives you lots more room to work.

The parts are as follows:

Product ID: B46-1177
Part: Bilstein Shock 89-94 Vette Front
Price: $74.95 (ea)

Product ID: B46-1178
Part: Bilstein Shock 88-94 Vette Rear
Price: $74.95 (ea)

That is from http://www.vettebrakes.com/

You may find a better price somewhere else but make sure they actually have them in stock and ready to ship. I found lots of the lower priced places had to order them with no guarantee on when they would arrive...

Graham

Great post VMS. Thanks ! Lots of good info.

I'll quit bugging everyone on shocks and get some !

Rob

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom