Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

One piece "Astro" top / T-TOP REPLACEMENT

Allthumbs

Corvette
1981 white coupe
I have been looking at the one piece "Astro"style top to replace or supplement the painted hard top panels on my '81. Has anyone had any experience with these. Do they use the same pin style mounting that the stock panels have ?All opinions and comments welcome ! Thanks.

Tom

I have one on my car and really like it. uses same mounting points and is easy to put on or take off. the smoked one-piece roof looks soooo much better than the stock painted panels on a white vette. the only thing I find is that it takes up a lot of storage room if you take off while out and about, but I usually leave it home if there is no chance of rain.

Mike

I have had one for over 20 years, still like it. Its nice to have some shine coming thru the roof. Also my wife thought it was romantic with the moon coming thru at night when we were dating. It is bulky to store but does fit behind the seats in my 76. I don;t know if they have changed the way it installs from when mine was built, but it takes about 1 minute to instasll. You may want to see if they still have the 2 piece, no difference from the inside out, but might store like what you have now. I think they have different shades also. Mine was the dark shade, looks good on any car.

Would you guys have any pictures of your car with the astro on .. to share ? How much should I expect the top to cost and have you had any leaks (air water issues ) ? ( not that we drive our C3's in the rain on purpose!).. Thank you for any replies. :w

Tom

It has a little of water when washing the car with it on. I think it had a little wind noise problem, but I bought this over 20 years ago. I would buy one again over the more expensive t-tops, it is nice to have even if the moon is shinning thru at night.

ONE PIECE TOP / T-TOP REPLACEMENT

anyone know about the one piece tops that replace the two individual t-tops on a 79 vette? the company i have seen on e-bay is called astro tops. they seem to have a great product. does any other company make them? are they a good deal. thanks.

If you do a search on the astrotop name you should find some old thread in which it was discussed.

I have the Astro top 1 piece.

Pro: Cheap, light (plasic), tinted

Con: Squeeks, leaks in right front (not tight to window), it will fit in back, but I need to put something under it for support. It spans the wheel wells.

Would I buy it again? Probably not. I think I would bit the bullet for the additional $500 and get the two piece (heavy glass) original replacement. But at the time, I didn't have the additional $500.

Bought one years ago. Tried it for about two months. Did not like it. Did not seal against the side windows good enough for me - wind noise, and never could get a tight seal at the front corner where the side window meets the a-pillar weatherstripping and the t-top weatherstripping. Also when you look the top in the curved sides the object you are seeing is slightly distored. BTW its back in the box it was shipped in and has not see light for four years. I think I can still find it in the attic.

Roger

I thought I would resurrect this one too .. due to recent question.

bump..Okay now we have some differing opinions on this one !:D

Tom

I have one on my 76; its the blue tint which works good with a blue car, it was more weather tight then the original, but my weatherstrip needs replacing. The stars at night are a big plus which is one of the reasons that I searched E-bay for a glass top for my C5 when I bought it.
blue76.jpg

Boss !

That top looks awesome on your blue car !!:beer

Tom

Real FC !

I posted the same question back in October and have resurrected the post for you. I have not yet purchased one.. but I am leaning toward doing so this spring !?

Tom:w

the astrotop either you love it or you hate it ;), I'm in NW Ohio come springtime if you like you can come take a look at it and see one before you buy, Ive had mine since 2000
MVC-006F.JPG

Thanks Boss !

I am in Akron.. so probably a bit of a drive ! I think yours looks great ! I was thinking about a smoked color for the white vette.. more of an amber look I guess ?

Tom

Thanks Boss !

Now I have a dilemma.. I like the grey also !:)

Tom

Can't really talk about the one piece top on a 79, however, on a 71 it really doesn't fit and look right. It seems it sits higher than the T-tops on the 71. I have seen them at various shows on other 71s and consider one however like I said before I don't like the look and the fit.

Tom....

Hey Tom, which one did you decide to go with?
I too have a white 80-82 Vette. My interior is the dark blue (code 48). So, I was thinking that the blue astro looked cool. But, the car IS white afterall.

When you get yours could you post pics? I would like to actually see it on someones car. The pics on their website aren't much to write home about.

Andy

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom