Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

News: One problem down

John Robinson

Gone but not forgotten
Corvette
1993 Polo Green Coupe
To everybody who has put up with my cruise control problem for the last 8 months or so it is fixed. Here is a rundown on problems found and fixed.

1. Found that a cruise wire was chaffed and shorting from the adjustable steering wheel rubbing it repared it and it worked for a while.

2. It quit again and this time it looked like the relay might be the problem replaced the relay no change

3. Ordered a new servo and put it on and it did not work. Parts store got another servo and the same problem. Before I returned it. I rechecked the brake and stop light switch adjustment.

4. I took the second new servo off and put the old one back on and while returning the 2nd new servo the cruise started to work.

5. Only for a short time and I finally became convinced the switch in the steering column lever was bad.

6. Studied and researched the wiring diagram even though I am a green horn on such things and tried to make my own set of switches.

7. After several tries and about 8 boxes of fuses I came up with a working model of what the circuitry was in the cruise wiper turn signal lever.

8. Finally the light came on and last week I went to a salvage yard near me that had a lot of mid 90 GM wrecks(Side Bar I found that a 93 Caddy had the right wiring connectors for the Corvette) I managed to find a Cruise wiper turn signal lever that had the right wiring and also salvaged the wire harness that went down the steering column. Cost $5.00 sure was simpler than making a switch box to do the job but then look what I learned. I was able to look in the junk yard and recognize just what I needed.

9. Installed the junk yard lever and used a ground light to test it for functionality. I was a good lever but still no cruise.

10. Back to the junk yard and removed a servo from a wreck (A Pontiac this time)to get the actuator but ended up taking the whole unit since when I squeezed it a puff of air came out of the diaphragm. They wanted $20.00 for this but all I had was a $5.00 on me so I offered it and they took it I guess they took pity on me as it was about 0 degree's outside and I had done all the searching and removing.

11. Still no cruise so out of desperation I got down to the stop light switch and vacuum switch on the brake pedal and readjusted them. Now when I turned the cruise on off switch I could here the transducer click on the original and the junk yard part.

12. Made several attempts at adjusting the brake switches and each time I took the car out to see if the cruise worked it did not.

13. Went to the eye doctor and got new classes and now I could see that the clip that holds the two switches was not working in fact I thought it might be cracked. As soon as I tried to remove it I had a face full of plastic pieces.

14. Ordered a new switch assembly and it came in on Christmas eve. Rushed out to the garage put it in and backed out the car still did not work.

15. Decided to go to church since it was Christmas and I had promised to read scripture at our midnight service. Looked for guidance for my problems and went home.

15 On Christmas day after all was quite again I went out and readjusted the new switches and hallelujah it worked.

I took the car out and drove it about 100 miles today and at times it had a hesitation at steady throttle and the gas mileage was only about 16MPG.

Let's see drop in gas mileage EGR or Vacuum problem. I had removed the EGR on an earlier problem so I rechecked the bolts and one of them I was able to take over a turn on it with the engine hot and tonight with it cool I was able to take about 3/4 of a turn on both bolts. when I restarted it it seemed to be idling much better and with the engine running at 2000RPM I put a vacuum gauge on it and it has a steady needle. I am now hopeful that the problems I have been chasing since March are behind me.:boogie:v

Thanks again to all of you who encouraged me and guided me in the process of eliminating this problem. I hope the information in this thread will help somebody else to continue to search and research and not give up on solving their own questions.

I will say this I probable know how to get to parts under the dash as fast as anybody now. Were do I put that on my resume?;LOL

Persistence has it's own reward! Way ta go.:beer

John, GREAT troubleshooting and write up. This is a cut & paste for the archives! Glad to hear it is working so well now.

Happy New Year!

Paul
:thumb

:thumb:thumb:thumb Good to hear John!!I knew that you would GETTER Done!! :thumb:thumb:thumb

PS. Sorry I had to cut out on you guys last August when dad passed,but you have to do what you have to do!!:hb:hb:hb

PS,PS Mom has Dads Vehicles up for sale if anyone is interested!!

88 Ford Crown Vic...... 38760 miles,Garage kept!! (Near perfect!!)

95 Dodge Reg Cab Laramie SLT 4X4...12,006 miles......
(Yes 12,006 miles,Like NEW!!)

:thumb:thumb:thumb Good to hear John!!I knew that you would GETTER Done!! :thumb:thumb:thumb

PS. Sorry I had to cut out on you guys last August when dad passed,but you have to do what you have to do!!:hb:hb:hb

PS,PS Mom has Dads Vehicles up for sale if anyone is interested!!

88 Ford Crown Vic...... 38760 miles,Garage kept!! (Near perfect!!)

95 Dodge Reg Cab Laramie SLT 4X4...12,006 miles......
(Yes 12,006 miles,Like NEW!!)

No apologie needed as you said you have to do what you have to do.

I think my egr has carbon in it again this time I am going to soak it in Easy Off Oven cleaner.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom