Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Opinions on Door Guards

V

VetteFanatic

I have a Millenium Yellow 2003 Converible with all options with the exception of the door guards. I'm curious on how many others who got their cars without them. I personally think they take away from the lines of the car. I have seen very few that don't have them. Your opinions ?

Mike

I've taken them off on all of the C5's I've owned. I agree with you that they take away from the lines of the car.

I haven't taken them off the 02 Electron Blue I have because I've been lazy, but the first thing that's coming off this Spring are the body side mouldings. It takes a long time, but it's worth it.

Seems like there's always somebody that wants to put them on, so I won't have a hard time to sell them.

Chuck

I never liked them either, but the door guards I think are the ugliest have to go to these from the Mallet car:

bsm%20far.JPG

I like the look better without them. Not that they look bad. I use my Corvette as a toy so I rarely park it where it can get dinged. I just hog 2 spaces when I park it. If I parked it in a lot I would most likely put them on.

They destroy the clean lines. I passed on many good deals that had them and waited for the perfect car without them. I too take up two spaces when possible. On the whole I find people really appreciate a nice car and have seen them go out of their way to avoid harming it when I have to park next to someone. Another trick is to find another Corvette or other type of babied car to park beside.

My wife and I refer to them as "SASM's" - as in Silly A** Side Moldings. We didn't order them on either C5.

I agree they take away from the lines of the car. I did not order them either. I think they are too low to do much good anyway.

Well, just had to pipe up from the other side of the coin - I have them on my 01 yellow ragtop and really like the looks. I think the car just looks too plain without them. The only time I find them too low to be useful is when you're near a high truck or SUV. They seem to provide plenty or protection from normal car doors (which is what I always try to park next to).

To each his own I guess.

Jim Z06 said:
I agree they take away from the lines of the car. I did not order them either. I think they are too low to do much good anyway.
I also agree, destroys the lines :beer

When I first saw them I couldn't believe they did that (added BSM) to the car. Eventually they grew on me to some extent. My used convertible has them and they will stay at this point. I don't want to take a chance on paint fade or anything, besides there is evidence on one of them having done their job well.
Bruce

I think the car looks better without them and ordered my 2K that way BUT not having them increases my paranoia level when I have to park it at the mall or grocery store.

Chuck

I ordered my Coupe with the Side Moldings. I have already had one instance where the side moldings protected from a ding/chip. It seems that Black cars are magnets for dings/chips (at least in my experience).

Navy Blue is probably a close second but so for I've been really lucky. If we had metal doors I'd put on those magnetic guards when I had to park it in those lots.

Chuck

I have them and like the way they look............

Before I bought my car I wanted one with the moldings. I thought it looked better with moldings. When I found out they were an 80-100 factory option I didn’t mind getting a car without them. I didn’t know it would cost 300+ for a body shop to put them on though. If the car is a dark color you really can’t tell that the moldings are there. If the car is light then the moldings make a difference. It’s personal preference really. I like the smooth look of my silver car without them, but the sleek angled look of a light car with them is nice too. They protect your door from getting dinged but the moldings get dinged and that looks bad too. Then you’ll have to pay to have the molding fixed if you’re picky. Either way your car got dinged. I took up two spaces one night at a restaurant far away from the restaurant and got an egg on the hood. People don’t respect other people’s stuff especially expensive cars.

Depends on where you park it,In the garage you dont need them,EVERYWHERE else you DOOOO!!!!

I ordered a 2002 coupe with every option EXCEPT body side moulding, I too think it ruins the look of the car. They also wanted 154.00 for that option as well!!

:confused I've got them, and would like to get them off. I'm leary to do so, in fear of screwing up the paint under them. I've hear of using fishing string, but not real confident in trying it. Anybody have any goof proof ideas? ;help

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom