Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Opinions on XM Radio?

If you don't renew, they will start sending you better offers and eventually offer 1 yr @ 1/2 price.

In 06 they gave you the perscription for a year- I listened to the comedy channels when I drove around, and then noticed it was the same loops being replayed. The little I used the car didnt justify the cost and I let it expire. I got solicitations seemed like every week thereafter to re up- kind of turned me off to the whole thing..

Now just bought a Dodge ram pickup with a 1 year Sirius - I was curious and tuned in Howard Stern- the big draw- and just as quickly tuned him out- He was funny back in the day- unpredictable more like it- and at least offered some lighthearted adult themed listening in a bad news packed AM enviroment- And I listen to AM just to be on top of things in the morning- a rev up to accompany my coffee in the commuting rat race- but on Sirius I find he has become mainstream, and boring- mostly, they talk about stuff going on in the lives of the shows insiders- BORING, and I could care less hearing about faceless people- So I switched again to comedy channels- Every once in a while you hear a classic bit of stand up but overwhelmingly it is unfunny dated (like decades old dated) stuff that turns into white noise- Ugh-

I cant stand commericals though- in any way shape or form, especially in radio format- so ill now tune to NPR or some right wing station, just to laugh at all the crap thats jammed in our ears. I will let Sirius expire as well.

xm

I had rather listen to my exhausts as I go through the gears. I let mine expire. I found myself only using it once or twice. CD when I do want my music.

As another mentioned here, I too got a 1 year subscription to SIRUS satelite radio with my Jeep, which is now over, and found that I listened pretty much to only one or two stations but only on longer drives as I prefered the local talk shows and news in town. But the reasons I don't plan to renew are as follows:

1. Sick and tired of getting the day and night telemarketing calls for renewell.
2. $12.95 per month (payable in advance is excessive)
3. Requirement that you give them a credit card or debt card number over the phone for their file. (Especially when the telemarketer said my trial subscription was registered under someone elses name..WTF?)
4. Automatic renewell with no billing after the subscribed term expires if you don't notify them in time and a $15 set up fee each time you renew a subscription period if you cancel.
5. $75 penality if you cancel your subscription before the term is over
6. Unacceptable Terms and Conditions clauses (yes, I read it on their web site) that are subject to change at any time and you are responsible to check the T&C for any updates.
7. All business and complaints are handled via telephone vs. internet and they outsource all of these services.

In essence, I'm not comfortable giving Punjab & his telemarketing outfit my credit & personal information. Kind of the same reason I don't have a cell phone.. but maybe that's just me.

Pat, I have XM in daily driver and I love it - The quality of the sound is one of the best features. Of course no commercials is great too. I like 50's, 60's mainly.
But I also go for the 40's & jazz.

I plan to subscribe for next season for my newly acquired '06 & can't wait.

Also The DJ's on the 50's stations anyway take requests &
will talk to you as you make a request. And I mean really
chat a bit. This of course is a personal pref. I haven't called in yet.
The MAIN feature that I like is that they play the oddball stuff - the "B" sides, rarely heard things. And the DJ's will supply any anecdotes or folklore about a tune.

It's an individual thing - I understand your feelings.

I would love to have XM in my C5 but as of yet have not heard of a way to attach the antenna properly. We have it in our Cadillac and love it.

I have XM and use a very small % of the channels, but the ones I listen too have become necessary to have. On trips, you don't lose stations, that is a plus for me.
My installer found a small recessed area under the hood, driver's side near the corner closest to the windshield. Tiny antenna and it fit in there like it was made to be there.

I had XM radio for the 1st year. I liked it because it was different and sandy eggo radio is worse than lousy. It is a market "prime for the plucking." Anyway, I haven't re-upped" for the service but if I traveled across country, I would.

BTW, when you call to XM radio for service, you are calling India. When I call them, I like to check the weather in Bombay! There are "special pricing incentives" from XM. The best deal I've seen happen is $59/yr. The easy deal to get is $77/yr using the code: ZWINBACK.
Sometimes the Indian isn't aware of the special, just hang up and get another Indian. I've also heard that it will be offered if you ask for "cancellation service."

Just don't let XM have your credit card # as they'll charge you 12.50/mo after the yr term...without your authorization! They will charge you an extra $2 for a paper billing that you write a check for. This is the best way if you want to have the service, IMHO.

I really enjoy my XM. I rarely listen to anything but XM anymore. My wife enjoyed it so much that I bought a portable unit so she can listen in her car then bring in the house and plug it into a small boombox and listen in the house.

I have XM in my Corvette, Cadillac and the house and I wouldn't be without it! That commercial free music and the fact that I can listen all across the country is important to me. I haven't listened to local radio in 3 years.

I feel the same way. I almost never listen to anything else. BUT-if you aren't using it much, makes no sense to renew.

cable tv

Just wanted to add-I am old enough,like many of you on here-to remember when cable tv was introduced many,many years ago. The question was asked back then "Why pay for tv when you can get it free"? The answer then was"there are no commercials on cable tv".!!!!!! We all know where that went. $13/month is too expensive in my book. If you do subscribe, I would pay special attention to the first "commercials" that air, then re-evaluate...

Just wanted to add-I am old enough,like many of you on here-to remember when cable tv was introduced many,many years ago. The question was asked back then "Why pay for tv when you can get it free"? The answer then was"there are no commercials on cable tv".!!!!!! We all know where that went. $13/month is too expensive in my book. If you do subscribe, I would pay special attention to the first "commercials" that air, then re-evaluate...

Well, to be fair, what I recall from the 70's when cable TV was first introduced was that the only channels which promised to be "commercial free" were the premium channels like HBO, which you had to pay extra for. The idea behind cable was to specifically augment the limited array of broadcast stations you could get in your local market with additional programming and networks, and you could get it without having someone jump up every few minutes to re-adjust the rabbit ears on top of the TV set.

My problem with XM radio is that, in concept, its delivering a niche-market appeal in a medium which already has, to some extent, niche-market appeal.

-Patrick

XM-Radio

The sound of exhausts, tires and a roaring engine just seem to overwhelm me still at this old age of 59. Sliding through those 6 gears effortlessly and watching my passport 8500 closely. My bag.

On the other hand my wife listens to her mustang's SIRIUS radio all the -----time car and house.

I let my service expire and have avoided the multiple calls from XM to re-initiate. I just didn't listen to it. For that matter, I rarely listen to the radio when in the Vette as I enjoy the sounds of the car and the exhaust more!

:w save the wave

Indoors for me with XM-try it

You may not know that you can listen to XM on your pc, just go to the site & put in your info, then click on "Listen Now". As long as you are a paid subscriber, you can listen on your pc. : listen.xmradio.com..........your account number was sent with your corvette papers.............
Before this I figured I would let it expire, but have now changed my mind. ;LOL

..I liked the 80s station mostly, but could not see paying for radio - it is tough to do when it has been free for my whole life so far!

Now that I found a statin called "Jack FM," I am in heaven, as they play LOTS of 80s tunes and some new stuff - most I have not heard in YEARS!

I have XM in my 06. I listen mostly to the comedy channels, occasionally to the 60's and 70's channels. XM is gradually ramping up the number of commercials on the comedy channel and that is driving me crazy. I HATE commercials. Before XM I listened to WGN all the time. That station drove me away with all the commercials that play now.

I also have an iPod interface. On a recent trip to Florida the iPod was my choice for music. With the iPod I had MY music and comedy. I even "READ" a book while on the road. What is really cool about having the iPod is you can put all your music on it and control the playlist and for sure there will NEVER be a commercial while listening to it. Really cool technology.

RWW

My wife has it on her 2007 Cadillac DTS; she likes the Heart and Blend channels. I keep my Vette's CD player loaded with 50's and 60's music, mostly doo wop. Currently enjoying recordings of old Wolfman Jack shows. My teen years were the best years of my life and I try to relive them in my Vette. The only radio I ever listen to are shows on NPR like Car Talk and Prarie Home Companion.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom