Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Opinions please???

DJ's LT1

Corvette
1996 Black Coupe
I'm looking to free up some of the LT1's breathing and just wanted some input on what might be the better of the two approaches. An SLP "claw" or the regular K&N with an open lid? Are there any better options? I will be doing this soon, so any input will be appreciated. Thanks!!

Use Vortex Ram Air

I just installed this...
Hope this helps you out
-Pedro

Vette010.jpg

DJ's LT1 said:
I'm looking to free up some of the LT1's breathing and just wanted some input on what might be the better of the two approaches. An SLP "claw" or the regular K&N with an open lid? Are there any better options? I will be doing this soon, so any input will be appreciated. Thanks!!

The thing about both of those units is that while it does get more air in, the air that it gets in is hot air. The motor wants cooler air to make power.

That being said, the Vortex box is supposed to get the cooler air from the radiator cavity area. It's not cheap, ~$270, but you hear a lot of great things about it and the faster you go, the more/cooler air you'll get for more power.

Well thanks for the input guys, I'm going to look into the "ram air" type systems as this seems to be the best way to take in the cooler air. By the way that sure is a sweet C4, Pedro! Are those C5 rims?

I did the Ram Air for one of my first mods, when I got the vette, and am very glad that I did. Well worth the money, plus it comes with a K&N filter!

Yes they are. I'll be installing 9.5" in the fron in the"long"future. I will have 285 all around

Intakes

There has been much said about this subject here. There are fans of each alternative, including no change from stock at all.

The stock configuration has an area of restriction at the top of the radiator. The addition of the K&N filter and cut lid opens it up at the filter but then the air has to squeeze through the inch tall funnel to the bellows. I thought the seal in the stock airbox was horrible with the K&N.

I have the SLP 'Claw' 3 tube intake with 3 round filters. The air is drawn from deeper in the radiator shroud area and has no funny bends or restrictions. The piece stays cool to the touch and gathers air from a cooler section under the hood. With my Corsas it felt better sotp. Looks great. Standing at the front you can hear the air whistling into the throttle body. A member cut some small openings in the shroud under each filter to access outside air and liked the results.

The Vortex requires permanent alteration of the radiator shroud. I think it may affect radiator efficiency if it operates as advertised and rams air into the intake vs. the radiator. Not the best reputation for fit either.

The front plate ram system has good reviews, but it starts working at over 45 mph. The framework has to be cut. The system is vulnerable to standing water and could hydro-lock the engine as was witnessed at Bowling Green 50th in a parking lot.

The engine bay of the C4 is a tough place to get cold air through to the engine. A ram through the fog lights is on the drawing board at Vararam like the C5 with water baffles. People have strong opinions on this subject as I'm sure will follow. I like the SLP just fine.

I have the SLP "Claw" as well. It's a nice addition and works well w/ the mods I have. Simple install w/ no underhhood modifications required. Looks good & like tlong said, "you can hear the air whistling into the throttle body". Maybe it's just me but, I could definitely feel a sotp improvement after the install.

Like they say, it's not just one mod alone but how each works in conjunction w/ another...

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom