Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Optima Battery Group for 1967

paul67

Corvette
1974 convertible
Me too. I have been considering one for the '59.

Paul, I've got a Part#8004-003
Model #34/78 came w/ the car but has kept a charge for 2 years w/ no complaints.(But it does not bolt down to the base plate)
I would recommend it if your not looking for originality..

I don't have the top-to-base bracket system, just the base clamp. I would like to retain that. There is a dealer locally. I will drop by and have a look at one of the 34/78 units.

battery.jpg

Paul what is the reasoning behind wanting this battery?

They are exspencive and I know there are 3 differant types.

Red

yellow

??

I put a yellow one in the 62 and it dosent seam to be any better then the other batteries I have owned. I think I was told the yellow is a deep cycle but I keep battery tenders on my batteries now

I guess my basic concern is acid spillage although I must admit my current battery has been trouble-free. I will check prices this week but it looks from the internet that the cost will be 2x that I can get from AC Delco for a group 24. Perhaps this is not one of my better ideas. Too much rain, no time to drive, too much time to think.

Yellow

paul67 said:
I guess my basic concern is acid spillage although I must admit my current battery has been trouble-free. I will check prices this week but it looks from the internet that the cost will be 2x that I can get from AC Delco for a group 24. Perhaps this is not one of my better ideas. Too much rain, no time to drive, too much time to think.

The logic of putting an aluminum overflow tank above a lead acid battery has always amazed me. What were they thinking? The acid fumes from the battery in my '65 literally ate the bottom of the tank out. I had it welded and then put a thick coat of epoxy on it to avoid the problem in the future. My next bbattery will be a yellow Optima since I have yellow Accel plug wires. Gotta be color coordinated ya know!

:rotfl

I also heve the red 34/78 in my '64. I put it in over two years ago and it has been totally trouble free.

paul67 said:

Paul,

Too much rain, and not enough time to drive, is precisely why you should be looking into replacing your acid-box battery. If you have not as yet had any isssues with acid spillage, take my word for it and just wait a while longer, it will come sooner or later. :ugh

The Optima batteries can be fully charged, placed on a shelf for a full year, and still be able to start your car when ever they are put back into service. These are the ONLY batteries that will ever be used in any of my cars in the future.

The blue tops are mainly made for marine use. The yellow top batteries, although some have chosen to use them in their cars, are much better suited for prolonged deep cycle use. They would be the ideal battery for installation in a motor home, a camper, or one of those Japanese ricers, that need a zillion amps for their sound systems.

As for our cars, the manufacturer recommends the red tops, of varying capacity. Personally I have chosen the latest 800 amps cold cranking battery, # SC34U. I opted for the model with the duel posts, in case I need any direct additional hook-ups under the hood. I use the second negative post on the side of the battery to ground the battery to the birdcage with a # one gauge, grounding wire. No weak electrical connections on this baby.

As for your preference for retaining the battery, although the 67 Corvettes use a regular bottom mounting clamp, it is not the safest method, and will not retain the battery in place during a violent collision. You would be better off investing a few extra dollars, and having the garage, use some type of top mounting bracket to secure it in place. The dimensions of this model will fit in our regular battery box bases.

Good luck with your choices Paul.

P.S. Any decision made on the auto/consul we discussed a little while back ?

Stepinwolf

optima.jpg

That's for me. I only need the top terminal for the '59 though. Other than the starter, ignition and exterior lighting the only electrical accessory my car has is the courtesy lamp.

Do you know what the deal is with the height adapters they sell and will the battery clamp down in the C1 tray with the stock top clamp and side shields?

Tom

Bob,

A local dealer has a SC34U (red top). It comes with a height adaptor and a couple of hold-down configurations if the stock clamp does not do the trick. I take your point re the base clamp being marginal and I will explore some other methods if I am not happy with what I find on installation. I will pick up the battery in the morning and report back tomorrow afternoon on install problems or more hopefully, ease.

I am going to keep the console for now.

Tom,

I am not familiar with C1s but will take pics tomorrow that might provide some hints.

Not too much blood was spilt but I spent two hours on the darn job. Optima SC34U with 800CCA. Here is the coolant tank being tucked out of the way.

optima006.jpg

New Optima battery with various install accessories.

optima009.jpg

The old and the new. The Optima is about 1" lower in height.

optima013.jpg

Job is done. Ran engine for 15 minutes to get up to temp. Coolant is topped up. Charging is fine. Light test is OK. I'm ready for the weekend.

My thanks to members who put up with the likes of me who consider such a small job an accomplishment.

Bob,
I wiggled that battery every way but loose to get it in. Lost some blood on the engine-side heat shield mais c'est la vie. The hold-downs, tuck-under in front are just fine. Used the #78 adaptor on the back side along with the stock GM clamp. It won't move.

optima017.jpg

Paul,looks great , I dont think you'll be dissapointed.. Question-did the mounting brackets come w/your battery? My previous owner just sat it in there(not anchored at all)
Great pictures too..I need for someone to show me how to do that.How to make them small enough to make them a attachment..Jim

Marlar said:
The logic of putting an aluminum overflow tank above a lead acid battery has always amazed me. What were they thinking? The acid fumes from the battery in my '65 literally ate the bottom of the tank out.:rotfl

What's even dumber is the C5 design, where the engine computer is directly below the battery tray; battery leaks, computer dies, replacement is $1400.00. Duh! :eyerole

Paul,

Congrats on a job well done. I knew you had it in you Paul, and that you could do the install, better then the local grease shop. The little blood lost is a small price to pay, because now it can be considered a battle scar.;)

Stepinwolf

When ever you decide to part with it, let me know.

Jim,
I'll try to answer with a pic. The photo shows a 1967 battery tray I have in the basement. The Optima battery (like most) has a lip around the bottom edge about 1/2" up from the base. On the left side of the tray that lip tucks under the raised and protruding edge. On the right side I used one of those black long, snap-on adaptors for the stock bolt-down clamp to grab onto. So the battery is secured fore and aft. The various adaptors did come with the package. I mocked things up with the spare tray before getting down to business. That large red piece is designed to give the Optima an extra 1" in height to mimic a group 24. I did not use it as that 1" did not seem of any importance, other than looking "correct".

As Stepinwolf alluded to earlier, some C2s have a different mounting system that uses a top, rectangular bracket that attaches to the tray base with long studs. I do not know which year uses what system but I do believe some type of hold-down restraint should be used.

As to pic size, I use a program called PaintShopPro to re-size my photos to 600 x 450 pixels. That seems to fit nicely on the Forum page.

Bob,
From time-to-time I experience tennis elbow. I had visions yesterday of that affliction showing its ugly head as I was lifting the batteries up and over the fender. But crushed fiberglass was not on the menu thankfully.

tray001.jpg

JohnZ,
Well w/ that info. I'm off to get 1 for the new Z (2004)-Will this same #Optima fit in the C5s

Thanks for the info Paul. In the C1 battery height is an issue due to the heat shield that is part of the retainer. Here's a pic from the Paragon catalog. The 1" adapter will hopefully put the battery at the right height for the shield to fit.

Tom

3854_full1.jpg

Thanks Tom,
My heatshield just sits on the exhaust manifold side and the battery holds it down. Kind of rinky-dink.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom