Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Optima battery

boomdriver

Corvette
87 z-51
Twice last week I had a dead battery, and today was the last straw...

Knowing that I've made sparks with tools on terminals, I suspected the alternator was not charging the amps that it should and this one was "clocked" wrong anyway. It had to have a special brace in the back. So, That justified a new alt but I knew my battery was also tired because it would drain the battery within 2 hrs with a door or the hatch open. As long as the charge was fresh it was ok, but it drained quickly and it would take forever to pick up enough charge even from jumping.

Question is, Who has spent the money on a Optimia battery and how is it working out? The CCA, CA and reserve amps were all better than the best typical type battery, and it is the same size, so I bought one. Thats a heavy sucker too...3 yr full exchange.
Anyone got a history with these? If it turns out to be a POS I can always take it back, but up front the specs were lots better than the top of the line regular battery.

I have been using a Red Top Optima for several years. No issues at all.

During the winter, when I do not have my battery tender attached, the battery will lose charge in two (2) months if the engine is not started.

When you recharge an Optima, charge at the ten (10) amp rate for several hours. Do not trickle charge or use the two (2) amp rate. This is imperative for the Optima to recharge properly.

ok, thanks!
the shop guy told me that he had taken totally dead, been dead for days or weeks, optima batteries and put them on the charger for 2 days and they took their full charge and load tested fine. He did tell me not to hurry a re-charge. I am understanding the optima to behave more like a nMhd battery than a lead/acid type, although I can assure everyone that thing feels like a chunk of solid lead...I think the battery support cracked when I set that thing in there.
I went running all day today, a/c on high, lights on just so I could get a feel for the performance. Most times with everything "on" the new alt charged 12.1+ at 550 rpm idle and went to 13 to 14.5v anywhere above idle. Even with an engine temp of 227 parked, there was no hesitation in cranking. I feel better now about spending $175 for a battery.....

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom