Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Ordered KEISLER 5 SPEED

BLACK MOON

Corvette
15 Shark Grey 3LZ Z06
Well I finally pulled the triger and ordered my Keisler 5 speed kit for my 63. It is going to open alot of options as far as tires and rear gear I can use and still give me a reasonable crusing speed / rpm. I plan on 17 Cragars with a 225/40 or 45 tire. I may keep the 355 but am thinking about using a 373 that I have here.

Now I just need to finish the body and frame and put it back together, hopefully late summer.

Let me know how you like it. I am cosidering purchasing one for my 60. WALT

I have had a Tremec TKO from http://www.fortesparts.com/ for 4 years now and love it suggest you stick with the stock gears as first is pretty steep in the Tremec, you may want to consider 3:36.

Do you remember what the set up cost you 4 years ago. What is your 5th gear ratio?

Anyone thinking about ordering; there is a 3 month backlog right now. In addition Tremac has a $400 price increase coming this spring.

I alreadu know I love the setup. Runs great and shifts better than any vette I've ever had.

bossvette said:
I have had a Tremec TKO from http://www.fortesparts.com/ for 4 years now and love it suggest you stick with the stock gears as first is pretty steep in the Tremec, you may want to consider 3:36.

Cost from Fortes 1/17/01, I guess its only been 3 years I remember doing the conversion the winter of 2000/01
ratios 3.27,1.98,1.34,1.0,0.68

TKO $1975
yoke $225
Centerforce dual disk $290
Flywheel for 400 $225
Shipping $70
Total $2785
the 3550 was about $350 less and would be enough for most small block apps
the shifter is not in the correct location, I chose the easy way and made a new shift plate
DSC01155.JPG

for more pics in no particular order see
http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse.asp?selected=558419

Just bought mine for a little cheaper from a Fortes distributor: http://www.5speedtransmissions.com/ Fortes now has a shifter upgrade for $300.00 that puts the shifter in the stock location (i.e. same as the Muncie or T-10 - 19.5" back of the bellhousing, 2" offset left of center).

I just filled out the estimate form and it totalled $2822 including the driveshaft and slip yoke. In my case I added a $80 clutch disc. $2,902. Good price. Did they quote delivery time?

Thanks

loren59 said:
Just bought mine for a little cheaper from a Fortes distributor: http://www.5speedtransmissions.com/ Fortes now has a shifter upgrade for $300.00 that puts the shifter in the stock location (i.e. same as the Muncie or T-10 - 19.5" back of the bellhousing, 2" offset left of center).

I'd have to pull my receipt, but I think he gave me a price break on the TKO at $1795 (advertised at $1975). The shifter location upgrade cost another $300.00. $60.00 for the speedometer/drive adapter. $60.00 for the heavy duty yoke. $279.00 for the McLeod bellhousing. $30.00 for three quarts syncromesh fluid. Shipping $110? I think the total was about $2,600. I'll probably need to get a new driveshaft. The body is off the frame on my 59 right now, so I haven't installed it. But it sure looks pretty sitting in the box!

It took about three months, but the reason I was given was they were working on the new shifter location. Mike Pell said otherwise I could have got it right away. I got it in about two months ago.

The scary part is they don't show any photos, you need to modify the cross member and I've been told the shifter does not come up in the correct position as well as not resembling a corvette shifter. I think the driveshaft is another $220 but you could have yours shortened locally for less.

I would really appreciate photos of their parts and feedback when you install it. I'm sure anyone comparing them to the Keisler setup would appreciate it as well.
Thanks

From TTC's news article www.ttcautomotive.com/English/news/20news.asp , it appears the improvements (T500/T600, 8 position shifter location, 2" offset shifters) are being made directly at TTC's mfg plant, not by any specific distributor (ie. Keisler) who is custom fabbing special shifters. This would imply that any TTC distributor can now order up a T500/T600 kit that bolts directly into early Corvettes. Also would imply the long production delays are being caused at the TTC plant itself, and not at the Distributor level.

Thanks for the info. Now all we need is a driveshaft, a slip yoke and modify the case to fit under the tunnel and fit the crossmember and we're set.

loren59 said:
Just bought mine for a little cheaper from a Fortes distributor: http://www.5speedtransmissions.com/ Fortes now has a shifter upgrade for $300.00 that puts the shifter in the stock location (i.e. same as the Muncie or T-10 - 19.5" back of the bellhousing, 2" offset left of center).[/Q

loren59
Could you send me a photo of your kit installed. I talked to Keisler and they say that there is NOT enough clearance to use the (Fortes/ 5speedtransmission.com's) TTC offset shifter. It will not work in any 1955-82 Corvette without cutting the tunnel considerably. Also, the shifter arm will hit the console. Finally, it is not a TRUE offset, like Keislers. TTC's is simply an arm off to the side. This changes the shifter geometry and the throws are not uniform side to side - Keislers is. I've examined one and it is part of the transmission not an arm added on.

This is off of Fortes/ 5 Speed Transmissions.com's website

"You will also need our Corvette conversion slip yoke for $225.00. I’ve had 2 customers who installed the std slip yoke in the car, but it was an incredible pain. The Corvette conversion slip yoke is a stock replacement slip yoke that is the bolt on unit. Our strong recommendation is for you to use our conversion slip yoke for $249 ($225 with purchase of a transmission). Otherwise, you have to figure out how to press this yoke together. No simple feat, and most of our customers have NOT been successful at this.
The trans will fit into your tunnel without major modification. You can use your stock bellhousing, clutch, linkages, speedometer cable, etc.

You will want our 2” offset shifter installed at the 19.5” location. (available 3Q03). This will allow you to use your stock console without modification.

It is possible to use the stock shifter location centered at 19.5”. You can make this trans and shifter work with your console, but you’ll have to do a little more work. Here’s what Mark at Excel Autocraft (801 563-0128) did for one of his customers with a ‘76:
  • Cut 1/2” off of the shifter stub.
    Redrill 2 new holes in the shifter.
    Build a spacer block to move the shifter bar 2 1/2” to the left, and 2 1/2” rearward.
    Lift the console 3/4” to clear the spacer block and shifter stub
    Please contact Mark for more details, and to discuss having him custom build this spacer for you. Also notice the pics of this adapter below.
We can also provide a driveshaft, they are $220 and up."

So I'd like to clarify this issue so all of us and future purchasers can make a more educated decision. I agree delivery time is important but I'm not about to start modifying my tunnel or my shifter plate.

I don't have any pictures, because I haven't installed the Fortes TKO yet. I'm doing a body off on my 59, and my body and frame are stripped and separated. So the tranny is sitting in a box. But it is definitely a true offset shifter. Its not just a modified shift bar - that was the former setup Fortes offered, I think. That is why I had a wait for the tranny; I was waiting for the new shifter location that Fortes was working on. They finally finished it in November.

The shifter has two bolt holes that match the Hurst handle bolt pattern. So you can use the Corvette Central replica shifter bar, for the stock look (that is the way I am going). I really don't think I'll have to cut the console. I'll try to put it up next to my Muncie that I was using (which is out of the car), to compare the location/height, to guestimate if the height will be the same. I definitely don't want to cut my console or shifter plate, either.

I'm thinking about doing a modification to my frame at the center of the crossmember (C1s have the xframe, which the tranny and driveshift have to go over), to cut out the square platform in the center of the X and lower it 2 inches. I can then put the side mounts lower on the frame (which I can use because I bought the Jim Meyer bolt on front suspension). The benefit will be three-fold; more hood clearance; an driveshaft angle that is not as severe, and a lower center of gravity. I am concerned about the driveshaft angle causing ujoint problems and/or driveline vibration, because the already steep angle will be aggravated by the fact that the Tremec is about 3" longer than the Muncie.

Of course, I'm going to have to modify my transmission crossmember, regardless, because the Tremec bolt pattern is a little further back. Nobody sells a C1 crossmember for the Tremec. But if I lower the tranny, I'm wondering if this will put the shifter bar too low. Maybe I can weld a 2" extension to the bolt-on shifter bar?

BLACK MOON said:
I talked to Keisler and they say that there is NOT enough clearance to use the (Fortes/ 5speedtransmission.com's) TTC offset shifter. It will not work in any 1955-82 Corvette without cutting the tunnel considerably. Also, the shifter arm will hit the console. Finally, it is not a TRUE offset, like Keislers. TTC's is simply an arm off to the side. This changes the shifter geometry and the throws are not uniform side to side - Keislers is. I've examined one and it is part of the transmission not an arm added on.
Okay - you're right. Putting the Fortes TKO between the body and the frame of my 59, I found out their offset shifter would not fit. This is because the housing for the horizontal shifter arm runs crossways across the entire width of the shifter plate. Since I will have to cut the tunnel as a result, Fortes is allowing me to swap out the shifter. I'm probably going to go with the Pro 5.0. So the shift point will be back at the centerline, not 2" offset to the left. But there is room on top of the console to move the shiftplate two inches to the right, so all I will have to do is enlarge the cutout on the console 2" to the right. It will then come out through the stock shifter plate.

One thing that gets in the way is the cigarette lighter molding in the console. My guess is that you are going to have to chop it, even with the Keisler Tremec, to get the tranny to fit between the frame and the top of the shift tunnel. Especially if you want the tailhousing to be even slightly off the frame.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom