Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Original brake calipers

PokerJoker

Corvette
Hey Guys,

I think my original brake calipers are long gone. Did all the originals have Delco Moraine stamped on them? Mine do not. They just have a number, I've attached a photo of the left rear. Also, do you know, if I buy rebuilt calipers from VBP or Zip will they take these calipers as cores if they're not the originals? One last question, if I don't have the original calipers, should I put original style rebuilts back on (with O rings), or will generic rebuilt calipers from Autozone or Napa work just as well?

Thanks,
Jeff caliper.jpg

Overall, a Vette Caliper is a Vette caliper.

O-rings or lip seals has been debated with lots of good points for both sides. IF you drive the car a lot,no reason to not use lip seals. Not a thing wrong with them. GM designed them so they should be good.

I don't drive my Vette very much, so I went with o-rings. 2 years and no problems so far.

The calipers from NAPA/Autozone you can just about count on having been sleeved, just as the ones from the Vette vendors.

i just rebuilt the front with a lip seal kit from vett brakes. You won't know until you you get inside them. Mine are shot, looks like they set to long from the previous owner. 31K miles on the car. I replaced the leaking seal and will replace all the lines and calipers when i get back from Korea in a year. Its just a band aid i know but they are working and no leaks.

** Note if they are not sleeved you can rebuild them yourself. If you have the means, pull them off open them up, if there is no major damage or sleeves take them to a shop and get them acid washed and paint them. then throw on some new seals and be done with it. Mine have some bad pits i had to sand out. Only pain in the ass is bleeding the brakes.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom