Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Original color or not?

C

centsless

I am getting ready to paint my car. It is white with red interior originally. It has 72,000 miles and is relatively stock and untouched. Basically stock minus the AIR pump, and someone cut the AIR tube off of the right exhaust manifold. Anyway, I really want to paint it red. Code 75 red original for the year. What do you all think. Should I leave it original, or not.

This is a tough one, bud.

I know that when I was trying to decide between the stock charcoal gray and the silver gray, I must have changed my mind a hundred times. I eventually decided to keep it in the charcoal gray color. But you know what, I have not thought about until now, so I guess I am happy with my choice.

Good luck!

I am in the same boat. I have changed my mind a hudred times. Part of me wants to keep it the original white, but man does that red look good...

Just my two cents...unless you're planning to have the car inspected for originality, paint it whatever color you want it to be (which sounds like red)...if for some reason you really want it back to the original color, you can always repaint it again later.

Food for thought: white is the only color which has been available every year of Corvette production. All of the 53s were white with red interiors. The 500,000th Corvette was white with a red interior. The 1,000,000th Corvette was white with a red interior.

:)

I know that back in 1985 I was looking for a white / Red interior with manual transmission for sale, but it turned out to be the hardest configuration to find. In fact during the 8 months I looked for that configuration, I never found one for sale, but then I found my current Vette (and some people say that the car chooses one), and I have had Gail ever since.

I agree with other members who say to paint it the color you want. And red together with back are two of the colors mostly used on Vettes, but that is because they are very popular colors. :thumb

I painted one of our C3's with 1987 Corvette Red code #81. Alot of people comment on it's color, saying it's the nicest red they have seen on a C3.
Good Luck with your choice.
Tjay

Paint it what color you like. It stopped being original the moment you removed the paint.

Groeten Peter

centsless,Your not alone on this one. I too have a white car. Didnt like the color much when I bought it a year ago. I'm right in the middle of changing the interior from camel to black. I cant decide what color to paint the car but at least black interior will match up with any color. Food for thought, all my hotrod buddys say leave it white.

I found out 2 years after I bought my red 81 that its original color was the two tone beige. I love my red corvette and when I repainted it...well I left it red. Beige is a unique color but I had a beige T-bird in high school and just didnt want a beige car again. I like all colors on vettes. I like white with red interior too and probably would have bought one if I didn't find the one I did. I think a white 81 with tinted windows and stock aluminum rims just looks sharp. It is all a matter of taste I suppose. You cant go wrong either way. The wife likes it red. My brothers is black...it shows dust like no other and only looks clean for about 1 day after its washed. I have to say his gets more attention than mine for whatever reason.

If you plan on keeping the Vette, paint it what ever color will make you smile everytime you go walking up to it. My Vette came from the factory in Silver, but when I bought it, it was Black. I will need to repaint it soon and I will definitely paint it back Black. Everytime I walk up to it, I think to myself, "man that is one beautiful car".

If it is not a car you intend on keeping and plan to resell it in the not so distant future, I would paint it back White, just because it is so original to begin with.

Good luck with the decision. Just remember, it's a Vette, it will be beautiful no matter what color you paint it. :w

Jon

I know about the black cars, I have a black 1995 Impala SS and it takes a lot of time to keep it clean. When it is clean, it is gorgeous, but it only lasts a few days if that long. I am down to either white or red, and I think red is in the lead! I keep looking at the pictures on the L81 site, and the red ones really look good. Problem is so do the white ones..lol

Changed mine from white w/ blue interior to dark metalic blue w/the blue interior. love it. I agree with Peer81, once the paint was removed no longer original. Here is some pics (next page)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom