Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Original wheels?

Curtis9

Corvette
1996 CE, LT-4
I'm looking a early C5's and wondering if there is a website or book that has images of what the original wheels &/or factory optional wheels should look like, including finish? Thanks in advance for any information, Curtis

Hi Curtis9 and welcome to the Corvette Action Center!

I didn't see any wheel options for the '97 but there was a Magnesium wheel option (N73) for C5's beginning with the '98 model.

The early C5's, I believe the '97-'99 models, had the so-called "wagon wheel" rims standard.

Here's a photo of my '98 with the original polished chrome "wagon wheels".

attachment.php

Here is a link to the CAC Model Center index page: Click

From there you can look up the various models with photos, options and production numbers.

:wJane Ann

Here's a photo of my '98 with the original polished chrome "wagon wheels".

attachment.php
No C5 ever came from the factory with chrome wheels. Those do appear to be original wagon wheels though. Possibly chromed by the previous owner?

attachment.php

attachment.php

First is the factory wheel for 97 to 99. Second is the same wheel with a little cosmetic changes. In 2000 they changed the design to the thin spoke, all 97 to 99 were silver/gray in color.

No C5 ever came from the factory with chrome wheels. Those do appear to be original wagon wheels though. Possibly chromed by the previous owner?

Interesting... I wasn't aware of that. The chrome rims were on her when I purchased her in 2004 and I thought they were original equipment. One of the previous owners (there were 2 prior to me) must have had them chromed.

If they are original and re-chromed they will have a GM stamp like the one below.
attachment.php

If they are original and re-chromed they will have a GM stamp like the one below.
attachment.php

And they do... I remember seeing the GM stamp when I've detailed them in the past.

My 1999

These are mine.. they are chromed as well. They have the GM stamp on them. People knock these wheels but chromed I think they look great. Especially XLR8 car and wheels look awesome :upthumbs

IMG_3675-1.jpg

IMG_3670-1.jpg

I agree, they look great chromed. I believe they may be the strongest and also lightest stock wheels that came on the C5 generation.........

My 1999

These are mine.. they are chromed as well. They have the GM stamp on them. People knock these wheels but chromed I think they look great. Especially XLR8 car and wheels look awesome :upthumbs

IMG_3670-1.jpg

I agree, they look great chromed. I believe they may be the strongest and also lightest stock wheels that came on the C5 generation.........

Thanks for the kind words, Joe. Some don't care for the wagon wheels but I've always loved mine in chrome. Like Mike said earlier, I think they add to the overall look of my Carmine Red 'vert.

One thing I've noticed recently though - the plastic center pieces need to be replaced. Only one still has the black area intact. On two of them it's faded almost to silver and on one it's fallen off completely. I'm going to have to try and find someone that sells them. Hopefully I can find them with the red C5 emblem like Zagger's. I like those.

Jane Ann, you might try calling factory reproductions 800-824-2676 Perhaps they can help?

Center caps

Thanks for the kind words, Joe. Some don't care for the wagon wheels but I've always loved mine in chrome. Like Mike said earlier, I think they add to the overall look of my Carmine Red 'vert.

One thing I've noticed recently though - the plastic center pieces need to be replaced. Only one still has the black area intact. On two of them it's faded almost to silver and on one it's fallen off completely. I'm going to have to try and find someone that sells them. Hopefully I can find them with the red C5 emblem like Zagger's. I like those.

I have seen those center caps on ebay several times.. check C5 center caps, there's a few of them.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Corv...015QQitemZ250204677245QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Check out http://www.corvettecentral.com/ under C5 wheels. They have caps, cap rings and flag decals.

Yep. I saw that too. Thanks Zagger. I'm trying to decide whether to stay with the unpainted flags like mine or go with the painted crossed flags like yours.

Decisions decisions.
:L

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom