Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

OUTSIDE AIR TEMPERATURE SENSOR

Doug

Corvette
1996 hunter green Grand Sport
The air temp sensor on my '96, normally mounted somewhere in the radiator air intake under the front bumber, is dangling by its' connecting wires on my car. I haven't found a repair manual that discusses the mounting location or process, or that shows a photo of the proper mounting. It isn't evident to my untrained eye. The readout on the dash is understandably erratic, but occasionally reads correctly. My questions are; where does this thing go, how is it supposed to be attached, and is grounding the issue that causes the wacko readouts? In your reply speak slowly, use small words and no sudden movements... I'm not a really good mechanic and I scare easily.

The sensor is located on the lower right side (pass/side) of the radiator support. You'll have to look around for the location. I believe it's held in by a clip with a screw. Take your time & you won't have any trouble. If you can't locate the mounting bracket try to secure it by some other means (temporarily).

Looks like it has a ground wire (blk) & the input wire is grn/blk. So I guess you don't have to worry about a ground issue, but then I'm no electrician. Hope this helps a little?

Let us know what you find.

Wow, that was fast. The strange thing is the wire and the sensor feed in from an opening on the left(drivers) side, and unless there is lots of wire tucked back behind the cowling someplace, I don't think it will stretch across the duct to the pass. side. Maybe I should unplug it, feed it in from the other side, then reattach. I'll look again tonight with lots of light. The base of the sensor is wide and flat, and looks like it should snap into some kind of holder. Maybe that's the clip you mentioned.
I just want to get it lined up in the airflow correctly, like it was when it was built.
Thanks for the input, it gets me pointed in the right direction.

Wow, that was fast. The strange thing is the wire and the sensor feed in from an opening on the left(drivers) side, and unless there is lots of wire tucked back behind the cowling someplace, I don't think it will stretch across the duct to the pass. side. Maybe I should unplug it, feed it in from the other side, then reattach. I'll look again tonight with lots of light. The base of the sensor is wide and flat, and looks like it should snap into some kind of holder. Maybe that's the clip you mentioned.
I just want to get it lined up in the airflow correctly, like it was when it was built.
Thanks for the input, it gets me pointed in the right direction.

Maybe the 96 Gran sport is different. I looked in the 95 FSM for the info I gave you. Good possibility that it clips in a different location.

Hope someone with a G/S chimes in to help.?

Maybe the 96 Gran sport is different. I looked in the 95 FSM for the info I gave you. Good possibility that it clips in a different location.

Hope someone with a G/S chimes in to help.?

Forgot to add that the LT4 section has Gran sports. I'm sure someone there will help.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom