Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

OUTSIDE TEMPERATURE DISPLAY

rlvincent

I recently purchased a '99 C5, and the outside temperature always reads 69 degrees f. Does anyone know where the sensor is located?
Is there a fix other than replacement?

The sensor is on the right front corner of the radiator shroud opening.

I recently replaced the ambient air temperature sensor on my 1999 C5 coupe. It is very easy. The part number is 10248414 (list $11.94). I purchased the part at my local Chevrolet dealer. The part bag was labeled, "Made in China (mainland)". I'm not sure if this part qualifies my Corvette to remain "An American Revolution!"

Raise the right front of the car (use a jack stand......). Remove the black plastic close-out panel under the car on the passenger side. It is attached with 5 or 6 small hex-head screws.

Use a small flat blade to push the "plastic nail" fastener up from underneath the car - the nail holds the sensor to the shroud. The sensor is attached to the right side of the radiator shroud, and protrudes through a small slit in the plastic. It will be obvious when you look at the sensor from underneath. It is difficult to reach inside and pull out the plastic nail connector - easier to push out from underneath.

Reach inside the close-out panel cavity and withdraw the harness that connects to the sensor. Remove the sensor - but examine the connector for corrosion. My original sensor connectors were corroded, but the connector was not (GM sells a replacement pigtail connector for about $32 list). My car is never driven in rain or snow, but the sensor was corroded. I'm not sure why - it has a weatherpack connector.

I used some silicone dielectric grease (GM part #12345579 - small tube and lists for $13.32) inside the sensor before plugging it into the connector - to prevent future corrosion.

Transfer the plastic nail to the new sensor, reach inside the close-out opening and insert the sensor through the hole. Push the plastic nail through the hole and then replace the close out panel.

It sounds complicated - but it isn't and should only take 5-10 minutes to change.

Good luck.

You live in FL.

Who cares what it is ..... it's freaking hot. What more do ya' kneed ta' know?

:cool

from what I read, there is a calibration procedure for this sensor. The sensor when in need of calibration reads a constant 65?? or 69?? etc. The calibration seems somewhat easy and maybe all you need. I cant remember where i saw it >>>>Look it up on google. its worth a little research.
Oh BTW it snowed last night!! LOL

Replaced the sensor

Strange this thread recently surfaced! Over the past few weeks our recently purchased C5's external temperature display was way off from the ambient o/s temp. While it was 80 degrees F, our display varied from 56 to 58. I found it quite easy to remove the sensor without resorting to any panel pulling. After pushing the pin up, I was able to squeeze my fingers between the nose and the steel support, thus getting a hold of the sensor and attached wiring. Lucky for us, the wiring was long enough to pull it free to disconnect it.

I paid just a tad over $9 for a new "Made in China" genuine GM sensor. Installing was a snap and happy to say, it corrected my temperature display problem. I don't believe there is any calibration procedure for it.

:w

it.

I paid just a tad over $9 for a new "Made in China" genuine GM sensor. Installing was a snap and happy to say, it corrected my temperature display problem.

:w
:chuckle That's rich....made in China genuine GM Oh man:boogie

Every once in a blue moon (3 or 4 times in 4+ years) mine will get stuck at whatever the temp is in my garage and not update for the entire drive. But it's always worked fine the next time I start the car. Hmph, maybe I'll replace mine too and see if it ever happens again. Since it always seems to fix itself in my case I've never even thought to post about it. - Eric

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom