Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Outside temperature sensor circuit open

D

dogfish246

I just did an A/C diagnostics test and code 03 came up.

This is the Outside temperature sensor circuit open.

Does anyone know what I should do to attempt to fix this problem?

I figured that I should look for loose/disconnected wires and maybe do an ohms test on the sensor, but I am not sure if this is what an open circuit is.

Retrieving fault codes is just the first step in the diagnostic process, troubleshooting DTC's also requires the correct Factory Service Manual for your vehicle. The two pages below show the flow chart for DTC 03 from my 93 FSM, your 96 may be different. The sensor is mounted in the air intake opening for the radiator. Note that other sections of the FSM may be helpful to trace the circuit, just one more reason having it is necessary if you want to repair your own car.
Give some thought to taking a class at a local high school or VO-ED to learn the concepts of basic electrical circuits, very worth while knowledge especially for C4 owners, good luck.

ATCcode03-04001.jpg

ATCcode03-04002.jpg

Open Circuit

"Open Circuit" means the sensor is either disconnected or is internally 'unplugged' or the wire harness is broken or a more remote possibility, the a/c programmer is kaput.
There is a plug/socket near the sensor which is located near the lower radiator opening (as toptech6 notes). It's on the passenger side and is somewhat difficult to see. Getting the front up on ramps or the car on a lift really helps. Make sure it's plugged in. Follow the decision tree posted by toptech6 thereafter.

Thanks guys for your help!

I checked all the connections near the sensor and it was fine. Then I took the connection off and checked for 5 Volts from the car side and that was fine. Then I checked the ohms for the sensor and compared the resistance at 50F and it was 3.9 which agrees with the numbers in the service manual.

The next step is to find where D-16 is in the car. I read the manual and it doesnt specify a location.

Again going on the assumption your 96 is the same, according to the diagram D16 is the pin number of the connector at the programmer or A/C control head. Illustration below is from the wiring section of the 93 FSM.

ATCcode03-04.jpg

Note that this view is from the back of the connector or wiring side, D16 is on the lower row far left. To double check verify the wire color matches when testing.

Then I checked the ohms for the sensor and compared the resistance at 50F and it was 3.9 which agrees with the numbers in the service manual.

At 50 degree Fahrenheit, I do not believe 3.9 ohms is the correct specification. Unless, there is a typo in your post.

SAVE THE :w!

Open the hood. Look way up in front, ahead of the radiator shroud on the right hand side. There's a sensor there and a few inches up stream is a connector.

Sometimes during radiator, front end body work or hood removal, that sensor gets bumped around. Maybe the ground is bad or the sensor itself is open.

Yeah, now Im second guessing myself. I will have to do the resistance test again tomorrow. When I did the test, the weather was weird so tomorrow is supposed to be 55F, and I will double check.:ugh

Also, now that I took the wires apart to do the reading near the sensor, my temperature reading in the car changes, but not close to the real temp. (4F, 50F, 68F, etc)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom