Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Overdrive-trans in a C3?

• Thread starter Thread starter smooth-rider
  • Start date Start date
S

smooth-rider

It's probably been gone over before but I can't find anything on it. Is there a reasonable way to put a Overdive trany in a 81?

:blue: Try this: gearvendors overdrive
Also, this site may include a magazine article on installing one of these behind either a Camaro or Vette. good luck, jim I eventually hope to do the same thing.

Nice, looked at it but way outta my price range.

What about a 700R4 swap? It'll bolt right up to your engine, and they're not computer controlled. I think the only major things that would have to be changed are the crossmember and possibly the driveshaft. Don't quote me on that, I speak from general Chevy knowledge, not specifically Vette knowledge.

The early 700's have a bad rep, but they can be built to withstand plenty of power. I just saw one in Summit, built by TCI, for $1600 or so. Also, the the 700 has a 3.06 first gear ratio, vs. the 2.52 in a TH350. That'll give you a better launch, and the .70 4th gear ratio will cut down the rpm on the highway, or allow you to use a lower rear gear.

Or you could go all out and swap in a T56, which gives you TWO overdrive gears. I had one in my LS1 Firebird, in 6th at 80mph, the engine was barely turning 2,000rpm with a 3.42 rear gear. Almost 30 highway mpg.

Hey Smooth-rider

I have a 700R4 in my L81, and its great. Quick off the mark at the lights (though step between gears 1 & 2 is large) When on the highway, the engine noise levels that are reduced (compared to other C3's I driven) as well as the mileage increased. I had to change to a 2500 rpm Torque Convertor but thats due to the engine configuration that it runs.
The cross member in the car had been modified (scalloped at top), but Ive been told that this is not necessary (by the experts?) as the 2 transmissions are about the same size. Based on the excess clearance I would tend to agree. The only thing Ive got to do, is replace the indicator lens on the console as still 3 speed version, which is a little annoying. But the 82CE lens fits at a price ($21 US - Corvette America). Just make sure if you get one, try to get a non computer controlledversion, as L81 computer is not compatible apparently with the lock up function on the 700R4.

Good Luck!! :beer

The 700R4 shift points are not computer controlled...but the torque converter lockup is. The transmission can be modified to engage the TCC hydraulically vs. electronically...or some just install a switch on the shifter to engage the TCC manually. A switch may be a little dangerous though...if you forget to "flip" it when you stop! Another easy way to deal with the TCC is to have it controlled by the 4th gear switch inside the trans...then the TCC will lockup only in 4th gear.

Bill

Thinking of maybe using a 200r4, still looking into it.

A couple of thoughts: First, it's my understanding that all '82's came standard with the 700R4 (I could be wrong). If true, parts should bolt in and be realatively readily available. I do know that Corvette Central lists a trans mount for them. Also, try www.bowtieoverdrives.com. They sell a variety of GM overdrives and even custom transmission crossmembers and shifter indicator kits. They should be able to help.

purpleRac3r said:
A couple of thoughts: First, it's my understanding that all '82's came standard with the 700R4 (I could be wrong).

You are absolutely correct. '82 was the first year for the 4 spd automatic 700R4...and Electronic Fuel Injection (L83 Crossfire). In fact there was only one engine and transmission combo available in '82...there were no manual transmissions in '82.

Bill

Very happy with my 700r4,love the low first gear coupled with my 3.70 gears and the torque of my fuel injection.

I have a 700r4 bolted on to my big block. I picked mine up from bow-tie overdrives while in Cali. Very pleased. Running 3.08. Usually 2000 gets me about 75mph.
Good luck

Hey crebo, what kind of mileage can you get with your big block car?

M&W's72vette vbmenu_register("postmenu_596494", true); ,

Believe it or not I never really took the time to calculate it. I think a close guess would be around 13-15....
If I get on it the gas needle goes down just as fast as the speedo goes up.
Alittle about the car...It's approx 461... agressive cam ,headers, 750 holley---have a 850 demon but gas was really used alot of gas.
Don't know if that helped
Chris

smooth-rider said:
It's probably been gone over before but I can't find anything on it. Is there a reasonable way to put a Overdive trany in a 81?

Hey Smoothrider

Just found this site, definately worth a look, covers all auto transmission conversions and all the additional parts accesories you can get for the conversions.

http://www.700r4.com/tech/tcc/index.shtml

Good Luck

:beer

Just ordered a 700 R4 from Maddog Lou in Florida. Right price and the best parts.

I've heard about this Maddog guy but can't find any of his info? Does he have a website or anything?

Thanks!

-Jeremy

smooth-rider said:
Thinking of maybe using a 200r4, still looking into it.

Think torque. A high torque motor will get over the rift easily.

What am I talking about- all motors these days are high torque!!! Vortec, Fast Burn....even the "GM Goodwrench Replacement" motor has a good flat torque curve.

Do you have the stock motor? Do you plan or have plans to change out the motor? Just asking...

I think the 200R4 works great in settings where you need a tranny set up to be closer in ratio. Like in a GN, T-type, or GNX. A turbo six works great with the tranny.

TPI motors worked awesome with the 700R4. Gobs of torque at low RPMs helped transition through the gap.

My old shark was a TPI / 700R4 swap car. I loved it. I'd still have it today if I had a garage and the space to work on it.

TPI motors worked awesome with the 700R4. Gobs of torque at low RPMs helped transition through the gap.

My old shark was a TPI / 700R4 swap car. I loved it. I'd still have it today if I had a garage and the space to work on it.[/QUOTE]

i have to agree:upthumbs

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom