Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Overheating Big Block - How Important is the Shroud Sealing?

edevince

Corvette
1969 LeMans Blue Coupe
Hi guys, need your help on this.

Have a 69 big block that overheats.....temperature will not stabilize at idle vehicle stopped. While driving, with airflow over rad, temp is quite ok. But with vehicle stopped, temp keeps climbing and never stabilizes.

Radiator had a hole/pinhole in it. So i removed the rad, had it professionally cleaned, repaired and flowed. Reinstalled rad and new 180 degree thermostat. But i was not able to remove the shroud intact. I had to cut out two sections to get enough clearance to remove and install it. plus the sealing strips around the rad are not completely in place as they were somewhat deteriorated.

so the question for me is, how critical is shroud being fully intact to idle cooling performance? Or any other ideas?

thanks much

Ernie

Attachments

• IMG_0886.jpg
    IMG_0886.jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 154
The shroud allows the fan to pull air thru the radiator instead of around it

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Removing Fan Shroud

Hi guys, need your help on this.

Have a 69 big block that overheats.....temperature will not stabilize at idle vehicle stopped. While driving, with airflow over rad, temp is quite ok. But with vehicle stopped, temp keeps climbing and never stabilizes.

Radiator had a hole/pinhole in it. So i removed the rad, had it professionally cleaned, repaired and flowed. Reinstalled rad and new 180 degree thermostat. But i was not able to remove the shroud intact. I had to cut out two sections to get enough clearance to remove and install it. plus the sealing strips around the rad are not completely in place as they were somewhat deteriorated.

so the question for me is, how critical is shroud being fully intact to idle cooling performance? Or any other ideas?

thanks much

Ernie

To remove the fan shroud you start by removing the hood then remove the 4 upper radiator frame bolts while loosening the bottom 2. Then the radiator can be tilted foreword and stood straight up and the shroud can easily be removed in one piece. The purpose of the shroud is to ensure air is being pulled thru the entire radiator core so if yours is missing big pieces it will definitely run hotter. The thermostat only determines the MINIMUM operating temperature so a 180 degree thermostat only ensures it will run a MINIMUM of 180 degrees and has nothing to do with the MAXIMUM operating temperature. I recommend buying a new shroud and install it the correct way. If you are running a wrong temperature sender it will show a hotter temperature so make sure you have the correct sender by buying it from one of the Corvette-only vendors.

I can't believe I'm saying this[emoji15]

Good suggestion

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
Oh the shame!!!😎

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom