Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Oversize front tires

Corvette
89 White Cvt/Hdtp 89 Callaway #59
How many have tried running 285-40-17 tires on front of c-4?? Any particular problems on highway?? noticable handling change?? Just asking because of possible good deal on 4 Eagle F1"s in this size. :beer

Thanks Ike

315-35x17", all 4

I run 315-35x17" at all corners on Epsilons, using alignment specs for the original 16" tires. Years ago, Guldstrand told me the 17" specs differed, having greater caster, greatly increasing the front rubbing.

Front: I get very minor rubbing inside, rear portion of the inner wheel well liner.
Rear: Car is lowered 1"; missing small pieces, inner inside well, from road dips. (Noggin lumps, too, fom the roll bar.)

Been too many years to comment on handling changes over the original Gatorbacks.
:w mike

I ran 285's all around for about 3 years on my 92. No problem.

The only reason I did it though is because I wanted to try run-flats and I didn't want to use the smaller 255 tire on the front. Run-flats in GSC do not come in the 275 size - so I got 4 285's. The size didn't make a lot of difference - the run-flat did however. I'm not using them now and have 275's on the front. Probably could have bought 285 but did not.

Have fun.

I'm running 285 Kuhmos on all 4 corners on stock rims (1992). No problems with any clearance especially the fronts. Rides very well and the traction is excellent. I'm only comparing to old GSC's with 25K on the tires so any new tire would be an improvement. The difference in tire size between the 275 and 285 is negligible maybe 1/4 inch in width and height (I think). Is there a difference in performance from a 275 to 285 - probably, but not much.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom