Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Overwhelmed by Dead Gauges....

Dude...

Hey guys.

I love this car but I'm a bit overwhelmed right now by the fact that none of my gauges work.

I think so far the only things that work are the speedometer, which seems off a bit and it bounces around a lot in the beginning.

Tach is dead, coolant temp gauge is dead, everything else too.

I'm not terribly concerned about the tach, being it's an auto, but I'd like to know the car is not running hot, so...how hard is it and where do I look to fix or replace the temp gauge?

any other advice is welcome.

*edit: sorry about all the newbie questions...im an import guy, trying to understand this old school stuff, and i dont have a lot of help :( so be gentle.

1st thing you need to do is get your self an AIM and service manual for this vette!!!
these are the Bibles to the corvette.Check on the driver side of the engine between the 1st and 2nd exhaust ports on the head.your coolant sensor should be there.see if it is plugged in,and look on the distributor on the same side there are 2 spaces for electrical plugs on the side of the cap,be sure they are there as well.if they are your problem could be in the dash...:ugh

:thumb I agree, get a shop manual specific to your year. What year is it? I may have the schematic or can get it for you. There is a fuse for all the gauges on the fuse panel, first place I would check.

thanks guys.

It's an 81.

With regards to the fuses....

I went and picked up the Haynes manual, but the diagram for the fuse arrangement in the book, and the one under the dash look VERY different.

It almost looks as if a previous owner rerouted a bunch of wires and fuses in a custom matter, which scares me even more.
:eek:hnoes

You musy be living right, it just so happens I have an 81, And all the electrics in color that you will need.
First up is the gauge diagram
Gaugediag1.jpg

You need a voltmetr or a test light, if you don't have one you can make it with a brake light bulb and a piece of wire. Check the 20 amp gauge fuse, it should be hot with the key on. There is a pink wire from the fuse to the back of the gauge cluster.
That should get you started

thanks guys.

It's an 81.

I went and picked up the Haynes manual, but the diagram for the fuse arrangement in the book, and the one under the dash look VERY different.

It almost looks as if a previous owner rerouted a bunch of wires and fuses in a custom matter, which scares me even more.
Here is a scan of the 1981 Fuse Panel layout... From GM ST-364-81 (GM Shop Manual) ;)

Good luck :thumb
attachment.php

Bud

thanks guys.

It's an 81.

The Hayes(and Chilton) are very generic and include all C3s which changed over the years. Get the AIM and Service manual for the 81 and you will have everything you might want for your particular vette.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom