Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Owens Corning Racer Headlights

B

Bullitt

Hey guys, how's it going. I'm interested in perhaps replacing my flip-up headlights on my own shark. I've seen the square light conversions that most mail-order companies sell, but I really like round lights for some reason. The ones on the Owens Corning Racer(in the Shark Racer setion) look so awesome! I could already see myself roaring down the Mulsanne Straight at 6:30 in the morning just as the sun breaks open the horizon at Lemans. Does anyone know where they got that conversion kit? Is it a straight bolt-on? If someone could throw me a line, I would really appreciate it. Also, I'm going to try to hit the junkyards today. Anyone want me to look for anything in particular, other than one of the missing ZL-1s? Catch you later.--Bullitt

I will give you $250 for your old pop up units. I don't need the vacuum units, or even care if they work.

Hey Chris, I might consider your offer. I need to find that conversion kit first, though.

Bullitt,
I believe I have what your looking for, as well as a few of the other L-88 conversion panels. Take a look at the link and tel me if this is what you were thinking of. http://www.guldstrand.com/L88.htm

Dave

headlight shields

Bullit,

These Plexiglas headlight shields that were common on the racers of the late 60s and into the 70s were originally from GM under part numbers 3961465 LH and 3961466 RH. Long since discontinued. I believe that the parts from Guldstrand are the same even though the Plexiglas shields (covers) aren't in the Picture.
(Note to Dave: You need to do something about that.)

I. too, have always liked the original L88 race lights better than anything anyone else has come up with.

Tom

( Note back to Tom )
I tried taking pictures of the covers but 1. there was way to much bounce back with or without the flash, or 2. you just could'nt see anything, but rest assured these are as the originals with one exception our's won't yellow after a half a season. (remember that ?) Maybe someday I'll click off a good pic of the covers....

Dave

Thanks

I'd like to thank everyone who helped me to get pointed in the right direction. I might be headed out to California in a couple of months, so maybe I will stop by your shop to get a up-close view of the conversion kit, Dave. But for now, I will close my eyes and dream of Lemans. Hey, doesn't Gran Turismo 2 have a Corvette racer that looks the same? Ah well, back to the daydreams.--Bullitt

covers

Dave,

I thought about that when I made that comment but I said it anyway. :D Maybe a photo of them installed would show up better. I remember the old Chevy ones doing the yellow thing. Glad to hear yours are higher quality. I wonder if Chevy thought that they would get busted before they discolored.

You know, it wouldn't be too hard to catch L88 fever. I should try to trade Barf, my beloved '85 Ciera, on a '68-'69 rough project convertible. Now there's what I need, another project.:(

Tom

I replaced mine with fiberglass buckets as well. The covers that came with my kit didn't exactly match up to the body. I ordered some abrasion resistant clear plexiglass from McMaster-Carr and some light grey glass for show to cut mine exactly
I don't like the square lights either. I'm sure you could substitute round lights but you would have to fabricate the trim.
What else I did is mount two Hella 4" round driving lights where the front license plate was. (Please don't give me a ticket officer! I did it for safety reasons! I have the plate right here. :))

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom