Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Own a dark colored Vette?

R

richross

Ok, so what is/are the best product(s) to use for polishing and waxing a dark colored Vette to minimize and get rid of fine scratches and protect the paint? I'm sure everyone out there has a personal formula, and I'd like to hear 'em all and get a consensus on what really works best (short of seeing a professional!). I've been told NO (cheap) BUFFERS; do it by hand or you get swirl marks (hate those!). Also was told by someone that 1st use 'Swirl Mark Remover' by 3M (product #39109) sparingly and then use 'NuFinish Once a Year Car Polish' or '661' to protect the paint. Sound legit to any of you dark shark owners out there? Thanks!
Rich

I am new to this forum - just bought a black 06 convert. I have been asking around and reading a lot of info - everyone seems to agree on either Zaino or Adams. Most of the discussion threads seem to prefer Zaino (multi layers) - here is the Zaino web site - www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc
I am going to try it (but it ain't cheap).
There is also a lot of discussion on the importance of towels you use to not put swirl marks on the finish. Debate is between 100% Cotton or microfiber. In cotton towels Cannon or Fieldcrest are best. USA made is important because foriegn towels can say 100% cotton but they're NOT. To prove it cut a piece off of a "cheap" "100% cotton" towel and burn the edge. If it burns clean it's cotton - if it shrivels a bit and turns black it has nylon or polyester in it. I haven't tried this myself but read it on another thread by a guy that sounded like he knew his stuff. Another thread says microfiber is the next generation for car polishing and is better. If you use micro check the edges of the towels - sometimes the binding ot the edge can have rough little nodes that can be clipped off so they don't scratch your paint when you are turning the towel. I'm going with high end microfibre.
We'll see how it all comes out - I'll post an opinion after I use it.
Good luck with your ride, wish me luck with mine. :beer

I would go with a good dual action polisher to polish the paint and after that top it with a carnauba wax or something like that. And I would say, wash the vette right after you drove it when the dirt is still fresh and will come off easy. When you wash the vette use two buckets, one to clean your washmitt and one to take out fresh soapy water.

Groeten Peter

...I am new to this forum - just bought a black 06 convert...Zaino...

Zaino is good stuff. My fiancee has used Zaino on her 96 and her 71 with good results.

Your 06 is base coat/clear coat. The older cars are acrylic lacquer with the exception of the Bowling Green built cars.

:)

Thanks for sending in your opinion! Good luck on your black vette. Mine is a 78 Pace Car and is black on silver. I have some fine scratches on the surface already and hopefully some of these polishes will take care of them... We'll see!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom