Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Pain and Pleasure

C

csc67

These cars give me a lot of both (pain & pleasure) and right now it is ALL pain. Here's the scoop - when I am driving along at 60 MPH and I let me foot off the accelerator about 2 seconds later the car REALLY begins to slow down - almost like I'm very gently applying the brakes. It can't be the motor (due to high revs) because the tach is only at 1600. It's not the brakes because if I put it in neutral while traveling 60 MPH it doesn't slow down. If I drive constant speed it seems to surge a bit. If the coolant temp gets hot (220) it has trouble starting - Not sure if these are related. It is a 1989 L98 - just had fuel filter, spark plugs, wires replaced. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Have you checked for trouble codes?

Rabbit,

Have a trouble code 54, but that is fuel pump related (certainly adds to my frustration level)

CSC67, How many miles on her? Does it accelerate a little slower than you think it should? I'm thinking a possibly plugged converter. Just a thought..Frank

Sidepipe,

She has 40,000 miles on her

Interior by the footwell feels hotter than it should be

How do you determine is the converter is plugged ??

Thanks for the help

FYU - I went to Paul Smiths college back in late 80's

At 60mph if I let off the gas completely it won't take long to downshift out of OD, especially if I touch the brake (note how for you it doesn't happen in neautral). There is some amount of engine braking as well in these cars. Mine will take a bit of extra cranking if hot to start but leaving the key on acc while I buckle up seems to help this (or until chime stops).
As for the surge my throttle is touchy and reacts to very little change in foot pressure but your case seems different.

Time to check your fuel pump!!!!!!!!!!
What pressures are you getting at the injectors?????
Have you installed a fuel pressure gauge....
Just my thoughts.....
Good Luck
tony

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom